[Suggestion] Scaffolding

Many times I need reaching into top areas to dig something up (algae typically) or build something, and the only good way is to make a ladder to the top, add some flooring, and then remove it.

The idea is to add a "Scaffold" type block that allows replicants to walk over it, but with a very quick (de)construction time. Scaffold could have a very low decor as to prevent players from using it as a permanent solution and maybe other negatives (flammable? breaks after a while?).

I was actually literally just coming here to recommend something similar, but my suggestion is slightly different.

I think a common frustration for players is when, for example, you realize that the reason your dupes refuse to construct the air vent you asked for an hour and a half ago is because it is barely out of reach. I think a good way to fix this would be to add scaffolding, as soulwave suggested, but I suggest it be implemented a bit differently.

Dupes should automatically build scaffolding to reach commands that are currently out of reach, and scaffolding should either:
a. Have dupes automatically deconstruct it

or

b. Decay over time (and thus lose the raw resources used to build it)

Either way, players are decentivized to use scaffolding (because it is either an inefficient use of dupe time, or because it is a waste of resources), but it removes the incredibly frustrating scenario of having a base that's falling apart because you didn't realize your blueprint is one tile too high.

Scaffolding in Craft the World could be adapted for use here.  The player places it, it is there immediately, then the player takes it away when done, it is gone right away.  It uses a lot more materials than ladders to build because it is a lot more functional.

Another option would be to allow the dupe building it to use whatever material he/she finds nearest to the location.

yah was wondering that to I can use mesh tiles regular tiles ladders insulated tiles filer tiles hell I can even use unmined rocks as scaffold now those rocks as scaffolding those ones are really high on the resource requirements

I agree with this suggestion.  I'd like to see something cheap to make and FAST when you just need it to reach resources then never again.  Heck, make it out of rope and it will rot over time and just disappear.

Hmm... what about rope climbing for those temporary, quick reach jobs?

Archived