Science! The Blossom-Wood Experiment

1 minute ago, Sawtrack said:

You can check the kcal consumption of each dupe in the daily repport. It's roughly 1000kcal.

Yeah I know, but thats the thing. They roughly consume 1.000Kcal a day according to that report. I thought I somewhere in game read that they need 1.000Kcal which would be a more robust fact. Just don't know where I saw it.

1 hour ago, Radje said:

Yeah I know, but thats the thing. They roughly consume 1.000Kcal a day according to that report. I thought I somewhere in game read that they need 1.000Kcal which would be a more robust fact. Just don't know where I saw it.

You can see the amount of calories they consume each time they eat, both from a text pop up and in the change of calories left in the colony (shown top left). The Dupes eacg eat once a day and the calories shown consumed has always been 1,000Kcal each per meal. With mealwood producing 13,500Kcal every 12.5 cycles (if you harvest quickly) you only need 3 plants per Dupe and should get a little left over.

1 hour ago, PudgeBalloon said:

You can see the amount of calories they consume each time they eat, both from a text pop up and in the change of calories left in the colony (shown top left). The Dupes eacg eat once a day and the calories shown consumed has always been 1,000Kcal each per meal. With mealwood producing 13,500Kcal every 12.5 cycles (if you harvest quickly) you only need 3 plants per Dupe and should get a little left over.

This is only partially correct. Mealwood "produces" 450Kcal a cycle when you harvest it instantly. Giving you 2.2 plants needed per duplicate. (10 total growth days for 4.500Kcal). Although I would go for at least 2.5

If you would not want to harvest and let them auto-cycle, they "produce" 321.43Kcal a cycle, resulting in 3.11 plants needed per duplicate. (14 total growth days for 4.500Kcal). Again maybe you should go for 3.5 to be safe

Now for why I brought up that the daily report isn't accurate enough for me: If you check the daily report you will almost never see a day where the total amount consumed is actually [number of duplicates times 1.000kcal]. Even when taking a 50 cycle average I get 956kcal per cycle with a mode of 924kcal. Which is of course still close to 1.000 but it's not a solid statement.

I did not closely observe their eating behavior yet and thus cannot comment on how often/much they eat per sitting. But this also seems to vary on a daily basis. Assuming they need 1.000Kcal per cycle is correct I think, but without it actually being measurable or stated in the game, its a guesstimate at best.

33 minutes ago, Radje said:

This is only partially correct. Mealwood "produces" 450Kcal a cycle when you harvest it instantly. Giving you 2.2 plants needed per duplicate. (10 total growth days for 4.500Kcal). Although I would go for at least 2.5

If you would not want to harvest and let them auto-cycle, they "produce" 321.43Kcal a cycle, resulting in 3.11 plants needed per duplicate. (14 total growth days for 4.500Kcal). Again maybe you should go for 3.5 to be safe

Now for why I brought up that the daily report isn't accurate enough for me: If you check the daily report you will almost never see a day where the total amount consumed is actually [number of duplicates times 1.000kcal]. Even when taking a 50 cycle average I get 956kcal per cycle with a mode of 924kcal. Which is of course still close to 1.000 but it's not a solid statement.

I did not closely observe their eating behavior yet and thus cannot comment on how often/much they eat per sitting. But this also seems to vary on a daily basis. Assuming they need 1.000Kcal per cycle is correct I think, but without it actually being measurable or stated in the game, its a guesstimate at best.

Yeah, I saw my mistake, gave them 4 cycles instead of 3 (should be 10 cycles a plant), went back and checked my game, luckily I got the maths right in that and didn't have too many plants. :) Went for 2.5 per Dupe as I like even numbers, easier to keep symmetry when building.

Ah okay, I admit I assumed they just rounded the figures up/down to the nearest 500, didn't worry me too much as most food produced seems to have Kcal in round numbers like 100, 500, 1000, etc. (not tried all food sources yet) which, for me, has been accurate enough in judging how much food is required so far.

I just watched a Dupe sit down (on the floor as I want them stressed ;)) and eat whilst checking his calorie stats in the 'Needs' section, it went from 1988Kcal at the start to 2949Kcal once he'd finished eating, which I think took about 10 to 15 seconds. Not convinced that's enough time for him to have burnt 41Kcal so probably not exactly 1000Kcal a meal, I believe he ate mushroot but might have been meal lice.

Interestingly, it appears from watching a couple of them go for food, the trigger to go eat is hitting the 2,000Kcal left in the 'Needs' section.

1 minute ago, PudgeBalloon said:

Yeah, I saw my mistake, gave them 4 cycles instead of 3 (should be 10 cycles a plant), went back and checked my game, luckily I got the maths right in that and didn't have too many plants. :) Went for 2.5 per Dupe as I like even numbers, easier to keep symmetry when building.

Ah okay, I admit I assumed they just rounded the figures up/down to the nearest 500, didn't worry me too much as most food produced seems to have Kcal in round numbers like 100, 500, 1000, etc. (not tried all food sources yet) which, for me, has been accurate enough in judging how much food is required so far.

I just watched a Dupe sit down (on the floor as I want them stressed ;)) and eat whilst checking his calorie stats in the 'Needs' section, it went from 1988Kcal at the start to 2949Kcal once he'd finished eating, which I think took about 10 to 15 seconds. Not convinced that's enough time for him to have burnt 41Kcal so probably not exactly 1000Kcal a meal, I believe he ate mushroot but might have been meal lice.

Interestingly, it appears from watching a couple of them go for food, the trigger to go eat is hitting the 2,000Kcal left in the 'Needs' section.

It's all good, just wanting to explain my reasoning :)

The meal eating is interesting, it seems they want to eat the 1.000Kcal per meal, but they are not getting 1.000 for the meal. Lets say they take 15seconds to eat, that's 15*1.7=25.5Kcal they would have burned meanwhile. Close but not the 41Kcal it's missing. Maybe freshness has anything to do with it?

Although that would still not explain how in my test world, on certain cycles, the report listed a little over 1.000Kcal intake. While I only had those dried mushbars (1.000Kcal each).

So yeah... 1.000Kcal per day is a good rule of thumb and thanks to some other tests we know for sure that 1 cycle = 600 seconds. Speed 1 = real life speed. Speed 2 = 300sec per cycle and Speed 3 = 200sec per cycle.

So, as mentioned before, I wanted to do some more testing. Which I did.

Unfortunately due to the update and some time constraints I cannot make a full write-up yet. I quickly trough this album together. Some of the pictures contain some information, but not all yet. The information on screen should show whats going on though in case of missing text.

Please do note that all of this was done in debug mode, I don't suspect it to have any impact on game mechanics but as I'm not certain I should warn you that these observations might only apply in every situation.

22 minutes ago, Radje said:

So, as mentioned before, I wanted to do some more testing. Which I did.

Unfortunately due to the update and some time constraints I cannot make a full write-up yet. I quickly trough this album together. Some of the pictures contain some information, but not all yet. The information on screen should show whats going on though in case of missing text.

Please do note that all of this was done in debug mode, I don't suspect it to have any impact on game mechanics but as I'm not certain I should warn you that these observations might only apply in every situation.

Very interesting. Although I would stay away from using using the gas tiles to contain water, since it seems like a bug that they don't break from pressure like normal blocks. I would imagine it will get patched, and if that happens it will not be pleasant to deal with ;)

Archived