Changes to the console version

Don't take me the wrong way, it's a great game and i've been playing for quite some time now, but there are several differences between the PC and console versions that makes me cry when playing on PS4, below is a list of what needs to be changed.

• Placing objects in PS4 is a pain, is the worst issue in the game, when on PC you have the viewpoint of the object but in the PS4 is the view of the character. This should be changed to when you select the option of placing a object the control moves from character to object as is on PC. Placing objects with the control of the character instead of the object itself makes it very imprecise and most of the times the character gets in the way of the object making this process extremely time consuming, this alters the balance of the game between platforms due to the fact that in the PS4 we spend more time with this issue.

• The crafting tab should keep enabled after the craft of an object, every time you want to make more then one item, you need to press the L2 button again, making the process of crafting items very time consuming, instead we should need to press L2, makes the objects that we want in the quantity needed and then press L2 again to close the tab.

• We should be able to close chest tab or icebox tab by pressing “O”. When you acess a chest you need to move away to close the tab with the contents of the chest, this should be done alternatively by pressing “O” on the dual shock.

• The “X” button or another option should function like the space bar on the PC making the character pursue the next object to pick without interference, something like a “gather all” button. Currently you need to change the object in the view of the character by moving the left analog stick when harvesting a line twigs for instance because the character keeps aiming the harvested sapling instead of finding the next twig to harvest, what takes time and makes the PS4 version less attractive.

• The attack command should prioritize enemy mobs instead of other stuff. Is really hard to hit MacTusk when he is running beside a wall or other stuff. The aiming system in the PS4 version needs work. The aiming system should have a longer range too.

• We should have the option of dropping one item instead of the whole stack, making the two options available. Suggest changing the inspect from upper d-pad to another button like left side of touchpad, making the right side the map (you know that you can divide the thing right?) and assign the up d-pad for dropping one item.

• The inventory tab should close when we try to move not only when you press the R2 again.

That’s what i think should improve the game in the PS4, making it more attractive in comparison with the PC version. In time i may add some other issues and feel free to suggest some yourself. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language.

Well you are actually incorrect about some of the things in your post. (I may be as well)

*Crafting tab does stay open after crafting an item unless you are prototyping that item.

*You can close chests and what not with the "X" button, the same button to open them

* You can drop single items. Press R2 to focus on inventory and then press down on the dpad to drop a single item

As far as your points regarding the moving of the player to place objects, or gather items, I think it's a necessary evil. With no mouse it'd be difficult to accomplish without relinquishing control of the player. (I could be willing to change my stance on this though)

You do have a couple points I agree with though:

* The attack command should prioritize enemies over walls or friendlies (looking at you Chester)

* The inventory should close when attempting to move

I agree, the controller needs to be updated to make the experience fun! I hate the fact that we have to move around to reset tooth traps, while pc just holds onto space and they just pick up everything and resets theirs. The fighting also needs some kind of improvement because having objects in the way ruins fighting for us controller players.

aeb5466686fc6ccafd52ae1838ab5c73.jpg

13 hours ago, Josonic said:

Well you are actually incorrect about some of the things in your post. (I may be as well)

*Crafting tab does stay open after crafting an item unless you are prototyping that item.

*You can close chests and what not with the "X" button, the same button to open them

* You can drop single items. Press R2 to focus on inventory and then press down on the dpad to drop a single item

As far as your points regarding the moving of the player to place objects, or gather items, I think it's a necessary evil. With no mouse it'd be difficult to accomplish without relinquishing control of the player. (I could be willing to change my stance on this though)

You do have a couple points I agree with though:

* The attack command should prioritize enemies over walls or friendlies (looking at you Chester)

* The inventory should close when attempting to move

Josonic, i do appreciate your inputs, i made some tests and i have some observations to make:

Yes, it stays open apparently when you hold the L2 button you can repeatedly press the "X" and craft as many items as you want without the tab closing, i didn't know that and holding the button is enough for me, thanks. I should edit the post saying that this is no more an issue if somehow i discover how to do it!

Despite the fact that you are 100% right everytime i want to close the chest i still keep pressing the "O" button, in the tiny brain that lives inside my right hand big toe is the international button to come back, close or exit stuff and i will love to see it works that way since it doesn't have other uses when you are messing with chests, but again you're right, thanks for enlighten me because i didn't pay attention on that.

There's should be something wrong with my PS4 because this doesn't work for me, i press the R2 to open the inventory tab press the d-pad down an it keeps dumping the whole stack of anything that i try, i even try to hold the R2 with the same result. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, can you elaborate that?

This could be done if Klei gets the interest of it, and it should improve drastically the quality of the game. It works on the PC as you pointed out, you relinquish the control of the player to take control of the object you want to place, making this a more precise and easy way of doing placement. Did you try to make a tooth trap array in the console game, it creates a hellish mess that my ocd eyes can not look at. That's really killing the game for me, i'm not able to build a beautiful and ordered base as i like, and when you try to put things symmetrical it just takes so much time and causes so much pain that i'm just finishing the platinum trophy in the PS4 to abandon it and go play on the PC.

As for the gather all, reset all is also a issue i hope Klei fixes, as even the pocket edition has the gather all button (i've played on PS vita, Ipad and Iphone), is a simple act that the character searches for other things in the area to gather or reset as long as you keep the button pressed.

I Have another suggestion to make, and anybody is welcome to debate this and the other stuff as well, i believe that holding down the buttons should force the character to repeat the actions, as for instance you are cooking some seeds in the fire, you need to repeatedly press the d-pad left button for it to keeps cooking when in my understanding you should just hold that button for it keep cooking until you release the button or when you are serving meat to the bird in the cage, this should improve the life of my controller and keep me from acquiring a lesion for repetitive actions in my hand (i don't know the name of the syndrome in english, sorry). For this i'm thinking of making a script for my cronusmax or using my Venom X receiver to solve this problem if i somehow discover how to adjust the timings.

Hey Rebel I do gotta correct a mistake I made. You can't drop a single item in in the console version of DST without separating individually and then dropping them (which is a pain and they should fix it). Ive played a lot more singleplayer Dont Starve than DST and you can do it in singleplayer. Not sure why they removed that feature.

Also for your newest suggestion, i completely agree. It actually works for some tasks, like gathering and mining, but it should be more consistent. Controllers aren't cheap. Also i think the syndrome you are looking for is "carpal tunnel"

If i could tack on another tiny suggestion it would be: Allow items to be dropped when you are moving. As it is now you have to stop and drop instead of dropping an item on the go (This was another thing that worked in singleplayer but no longer works in DST)

10 hours ago, Josonic said:

If i could tack on another tiny suggestion it would be: Allow items to be dropped when you are moving. As it is now you have to stop and drop instead of dropping an item on the go (This was another thing that worked in singleplayer but no longer works in DST)

Another good suggestion, i tend to drop the eyebone when running towards the beefalo in hound attacks since my chester is in shadow mode and i don't want him to die.

Let's just hope that someone at Klei's read this thread and have the courage of implement some of the improvements discussed here, and thanks for the "carpal tunnel" input :)

Archived