help with wilson mod

So I'm making a mod for Woodie and I came across an idea I want to add but I don't know how to make it happen. I want a code for him that works like this.

when Woodie picks up Lucy (his axe) he will lose 5 attack, but he will gain 10 defense. 

I have been trying for hours to figure this out but I'm just not that experienced with coding LUA let alone modding don't starve. 

If anyone can help me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Have you tried using a listener event for onpickup? ListenForEvent("onpickup", MyFunctionHere). You can use that to be the trigger for picking up the axe. Then to change the stats, just set a variable on the character such as, hasAxeBoolean. Then change the combat.bonusdamagefn via PostInit and maybe modify the combat GetAttacked function. There is probably a better way, but it'd be best to look through the components/combat.lua file first to get some ideas.

I used something similar to yours

inst:ListenForEvent("equip",function(inst,data)
        if data and data.item.prefab=="lucy" then
            inst.components.health.absorb = 1
            inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 0.85
        end
    end)

inst:ListenForEvent("unequip",function(inst,data)
            inst.components.health.absorb = 0
            inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 6.5

And this worked fine. Thank you for the help though :D

12 hours ago, creationss said:

I used something similar to yours

inst:ListenForEvent("equip",function(inst,data)
            inst.components.health.absorb = 1
            inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 0.85
        end
    end)

inst:ListenForEvent("unequip",function(inst,data)
            inst.components.health.absorb = 0
            inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 6.5

And this worked fine. Thank you for the help though :D

you sure u didn't mean to type 0.65? 6.5 is super high. making a spear hit like 180

41 minutes ago, Aquaterion said:

you sure u didn't mean to type 0.65? 6.5 is super high. making a spear hit like 180

oh don't worry. I was just using that number to test if it actually worked or not. So I could see results crystal clear.

But like always I have a different issue. Only this time I haven't been able to figure it out. A few other people I asked for help can't figure it out either. it's been going on for like 2 days and I can't progress without it. 

I made a completely new character and I'm trying to give him woodie's beaver passive. But I can't figure out how. Do you know the files I need to make this possible?

37 minutes ago, creationss said:

oh don't worry. I was just using that number to test if it actually worked or not. So I could see results crystal clear.

But like always I have a different issue. Only this time I haven't been able to figure it out. A few other people I asked for help can't figure it out either. it's been going on for like 2 days and I can't progress without it. 

I made a completely new character and I'm trying to give him woodie's beaver passive. But I can't figure out how. Do you know the files I need to make this possible?

making him turn beaver would be quite difficult since its not in a component, its all in woodie's prefab file

Edited by Aquaterion