I don't have a settings.ini file anywhere!

Hi guys.  I wanted to change the console settings in my dedicated server, but it turns out I don't even have a settings.ini file in (Documents)/DoNotStarveTogether OR Steamapps/common.  (Those aren't the exact paths, but should be enough to show that I looked this up ahead of time and tried.) And yes, I did read the other topic posted about this, back in 2015, the archived one. 

And the instructions they give on that page are so...TECHNICAL!!  :(  I could never figure it out.  I just don't know that kind of thing.  Why hasn't my game made a default settings.ini already?  I've played it tons of times.

Mainly, I want a way to DISable the console commands.  Forever and ever.  Yesterday a kid who I thought was basically okay for a kid freaking spawned in the BEARGER, on _my_ server, even though I did not give him permission/the ability to use console commands on my server at all.  I don't think he's a griefer...just a dumb, really impatient kid who cheats all the time and magically makes things appear--both good and bad--and never worries about things being destroyed because hey, you can magically get them back!  He plays this way on his own server, and it's fine.  But I had no idea he could do it on mine!  If he can, so can somebody else, and there are commands to just flat out _kill_ a character.

But, I cannot do anything at all to the console commands or any other settings...if I don't have a settings.ini!  And it seems cheats are enabled by default. Even remote cheats.  Great.

Please, please can somebody help me.  I can't do all the steps of how to make a settings.ini myself, I don't know the proper language or syntax to use and it would take forever.  Is there any way I can _force_ the game to automatically generate one?

Yes, I can ban this kid.  I just don't want a situation like this to be able to come up again, EVER.  Not even briefly.

...Notorious 

Wait. Console commands ONLY work for host and admins. Check if you don't have the kid on adminlist.txt, effectively giving them admin rights.

Do you use any mod? I just cannot fathom how the person managed to use the console for real. I mean, it IS possible to spawn a SPRITE, but it cannot do anything. So the client can spawn in meatballs, but nobody will be able to eat them.

I would suggest doing a clear reinstallation of the server, but that's kind of radical :(... I know! Perform Ashk-Ente to summon our very own @Muche!

Maybe it was just the sprite?  We never let it get anywhere near our camp, so I have no idea if it would've started eating our food and wrecking everything or not.  Didn't want to find out!

And I definitely have not put _anyone_ on adminlist.txt.  I do have mods, but I can't see as how any of them would do something like that.

Actually I found out something else odd--when I myself go to use the console, it says "Remote".  I'm not remote, I'm the freaking host!  WTF...?

...Notorious

It says (and ought to say) "remote" if the server is multi-sharded. Do you want me to try joining you some day and spawning, I don't know, a butterfly, to see if it can be attacked?

Also, which mods? There are some which do allow to appoint admins. I would ask the suspect to join and see if they have the star icon in the playerboard.

Is the playerboard the thing that shows up when you hit Tab?

Then no, nobody else has a star.  I would've noticed that.

My mods aren't anything world-breaking...I have one new character (Winnie), Willow the Unnerfed, non-breaking thermal stones, re-equip weapon, Pickle It!, and Birds and Berries and Trees with Friends or whatever its full name is.  I think that's it, other than my client-side only ones, which are Dusk and Night music, Gesture Wheel, and Disable Movement Prediction.

(...yes, I know that last one is frowned upon a lot.  I don't PvP, so me moving better than another player is not an issue.  Chill.)

All of those are pretty damn harmless, as far as I can see.  (shrug)

You're totally welcome to jon my server (note that I don't know where in the world you are, so I can't guarantee a lack of lag...and also I keep weird hours) and try spawning in something.  It's Zelynda's Funtine Wilderness Extravaganza! but you can find it by just searching "Zelynda".  : P

...Notorious

P.S.  It was also summer last I left...be careful!

Archived