Texture editing

I want to make some visual changes to the little baby moslings. To try to figure out how to do this, I just tried to make a quick change to the rabbit. Here's what I did (disclaimer: I know that directly editing the default data files is wrong, but I just did this for a quick test. I will create a proper mod once I figure out how to edit the textures correctly):

• Using Matt's TEXTool, I opened Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\anim\rabbit_build.zip\atlas-0.tex and saved it as a PNG on my hard drive.
  • Using Paint.NET, I opened the PNG, used the magic wand selector to select every part of the images that had the rabbit fur color, tinted it green, and saved the PNG.
  • Using Matt's TEXCreator, I opened the PNG, used the default format options (Pixel Format: DXT5, Texture Type: 2D, Mipmap Resize Filter: Default, Generate mipmaps checked, Pre-multiply Alpha checked), and converted it to TEX.
  • I copied the new atlas-0.tex into Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\anim\rabbit_build.zip

I started up DST, generated a new world, and used c_spawn("rabbit") to spawn a rabbit, and it worked!

So I thought, "cool, I know how to make this work for the moslings now."

I tried the exact same process as above, except replace "rabbit_build.zip" with "mossling_build.zip". I started up the game and spawned a mosling using the command c_spawn("mossling"). But, frustratingly, it did not work. The mossling was completely invisible. Nothing but a shadow on the ground.

So, there's got to be more to this than I thought. Does anyone know what would cause it to be invisible? Or what I'm doing wrong with in this process? Is there some other way that I can make visual only modifications to existing prefabs? I don't know how to do animations, so I didn't want to have to load up spriter and try to figure out how to animate this thing. I could never do as good as job as the folks at Klei, I just want to tweak it a bit. It would be fantastic if there was a way that I could just edit the texture and keep the animations and the build and everything else. 

Edited by HomShaBom

Ok, I figured it out, but I don't really understand why it happens. If I copy my edited atlas-0.tex file over the existing one in the zip file and choose to replace the old one, it will not work. But if I delete the old atlas-0.tex file from the zip first and then copy the new edited one into the zip, it works.

23 hours ago, HomShaBom said:

Ok, I figured it out, but I don't really understand why it happens. If I copy my edited atlas-0.tex file over the existing one in the zip file and choose to replace the old one, it will not work. But if I delete the old atlas-0.tex file from the zip first and then copy the new edited one into the zip, it works.

I'm pretty sure this is related to how files are compressed when they are put into zip folders. normally editing the files in a zip folder without extracting them first can be problematic.

second, the way atlas files are compiled between DS and DST is slightly different, so sometimes errors may occur. If you have the krane tool, it may be good to decompile anim files to scml files and work from there, though this process is complicated and can have its own issues.

19 hours ago, mf99k said:

If you have the krane tool, it may be good to decompile anim files to scml files and work from there, though this process is complicated and can have its own issues.

I tried using the krane tool to decompile the mossling_build anim files and when I open the scml the only animation I see is the dizzy ring (FORCEEXPORT/dizzy). Am I doing something wrong is this the issues you were talking about?

1 hour ago, HomShaBom said:

I tried using the krane tool to decompile the mossling_build anim files and when I open the scml the only animation I see is the dizzy ring (FORCEEXPORT/dizzy). Am I doing something wrong is this the issues you were talking about?

It means you need a different anim file than the one you used for krane. see if there's another mossling anim file around

There are other anim files, but I don't understand this. mossling_actions.zip only contains an anim.bin, it has no texture or build. When I create an anim file out of the spriter project the zip then contains an anim.bin, atlas-0.tex, and build.bin, but the original only had an anim.bin

4 hours ago, HomShaBom said:

There are other anim files, but I don't understand this. mossling_actions.zip only contains an anim.bin, it has no texture or build. When I create an anim file out of the spriter project the zip then contains an anim.bin, atlas-0.tex, and build.bin, but the original only had an anim.bin

replace the anim.bin you used for the spriter project with the anim.bin from mossling actions. make sure your spriter and krane files are kept separately from the main game files