Dedicated server mods?

I just want to start by saying I'm new to DST dedicated server and linux, I know not a good start.  I have ran previous dedicated servers on windows.  

I start my own dedicated server for a friend and I and it's up and running.  Step 1 accomplished.  Now I want to add some mods, but I can't seem to find any up-to-date guides on how to do so on linux, ubuntu, if that matters.

Can anyone provide me with a link or a couple about how to mod my dedicated server on linux preferably?  If it's an up-to-date guide for windows, I think I may be able to translate it to linux.

So far I followed 2 different guides about adding the  dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua  and  modoverrides.lua but one points to steamCMD\DST\mods and the other  /Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/.  I have searched this forum but found nothing really useful that I can apply.

Can anyone help me out?

Hey @Virauge, welcome to the forums. Here's a steam guide (How to install, configure and update mods on Dedicated Server) created by @ToNiO55. They're also a member of the forums, so if they have time to help they will. The guide was last updated on May 2. I don't personally own a Linux machine so I won't be able to help with specific details about the installation.

However I may be able to help clear out the confusion with the Windows guides. The Steamcmd\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods path location pertains to the default location of where dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua is for you to edit so the dedicated server can pull from mod files from that location IF you're running the game through steamcmd. If however you are using the steam tools version directly from the steam client, the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua you would be editing is under this location (Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods). The dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua downloads the mods from the steam workshop into your mod directory.

Meanwhile, the modoverrides.lua (under /Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/DedicatedServerFolder/Master OR Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\DedicatedServerFolder\Master) is what determines which mods (in either Steamcmd\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods or Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods) would be active on a given server.

Again, this is all based on what I know from a Windows installation so hopefully it was clear enough. If you have anymore questions, I hope ToNiO55 has time to answer, or anyone else with a running Modded Linux Server.

Good luck, cheers.

@ToNiO55

So I'm at a loss.  I've read all the linux parts of the guide.  I may be having some confusion because I did the server setup according to the pinned linux guide.

I have 2 Don't starve directories. 

/.Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/

This has MyDediServer with the Master and Caves folders, cluster_token.txt... etc.

And

/Steam/dstserver/

This has the mods folder. dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

I have the mods installed in /Steam/dstserver/mods with the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua .  I have the modoverrides.lua in /.Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Master and /.Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Caves.

Yet when I look at my server in the server browser, it's unmodded.

Here is the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and the modoverrides.lua.  I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also getting FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.

dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

modoverrides.lua

@ToNiO55

I did my install according to this guide.

forums.kleientertainment.https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651419070&https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651419070&searchtext==/topic/64441-dedicated-server-quick-setup-guide-linux/?_fromLogin=1

@ToNiO55

Yes, but I had to put them there manually.  That is also the folder that have my dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua that I posted above.

So I'm an idiot, and I believe I figured it out.  After doing some digging, I searched for dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and found another hidden directory that has an install and a default of that file.  I updated that file in the newly found directory and sure enough, everything started to work.

I really appreciate all your help and time Tonio.  I'm sorry I wasted so much of it for something so minor.

@Virauge

delete your all folders workshop-xxxxx in /Steam/dstserver/mods/

and use your modoverrides.lua:

http://pastebin.com/raw/80w2qmf2

/home/kodi/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Master/modoverrides.lua

/home/kodi/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Caves/modoverrides.lua

and use your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua:

http://pastebin.com/raw/wuZ5K7xx

/Steam/dstserver/mods/dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

i have test your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modoverrides.lua on my dedicated server linux and it's works

tell me if that's works or not please, if doesn't works please share your both server_log.txt again

@ToNiO55

I have a new problem now.  I'm not sure why this hates me lol

I ran the server with the files I posted above.  Seemed to work.  I added a few more mods, now when the server starts it seems to ignore the new mods, and erase the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file and replaces it with a new blank one.

Attached is the server log from the master folder and bother lua files.

dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

modoverrides.lua

server_log.txt

Remove validate parameter from steamcmd command in run_dedicated_servers.sh (or whatever you've called it) that starts the server, i.e. so it is "+app_update 343050 +quit" instead of "+app_update 343050 validate +quit".

@Muche

Thanks alot!  Never expected the validate command to change the customized lua.  I assumed it only did core game files not ALL game files. 

It's working fine now, tested it just not, mods have installed and all seem to be working.

Archived