Monsoon delayed for 8 days, then puddles growing to full size in one night

Hello,

I started a game of Don't Starve-Shipwrecked for the first time in two months a few days ago. Obviously some major changes have taken place since then (as I discovered by being instantly annihilated by the tornado thing)

When the monsoon season started (winds abated and the world turned green), I waited for the first rain to come, with sandbags at hand to plug every mini-puddles in sight as soon as they appeared on the island where I set camp. But it never came and after 5 days of waiting near my camp, I went to find nearby islands to explore. I would sail back as soon as the first rain started if it ever did.

The rain eventually started on the evening of day 45, some 8 days after the season started. On the nearby island where I was spending the night, I witnessed the puddles appearing and then growing at an extreme speed, "gaining a size" every 10 seconds or so, and by the time this short rainy night was over, every puddle had reached the maximum size (5*5 if I remember correctly). The flooding essentially caught up on 8 days of delay in a single night. Needless to say I came back to my home island to find my camp copiously flooded by a few full-sized puddles.

Is this supposed to happen ?

I thought so at the beginning (it made sense as a way to prevent players from using the rather cheap and easy way of negating the hardships of the monsoon season by plugging every puddle with a single sandbag as soon as the season starts. It would induce players to take the effort to build actual sandbag walls around their bases + artificial turf inside or something like that. And it would give players a few days of respite between the stormy season and the reviled monsoon season).

But after having a look on the internet, nothing has changed on the guides, wiki etc. regarding the mechanics of the monsoon season. So I'm left to wonder if I witnessed a bug or an extremely rare event (randomized start and rapidity of flooding). I was so curious actually that I created an account on .kleientertainment.com/forum and wrote this article.

Pretty sure it's bugged, a similar thing has happened to me in all of my recent games (rain doesn't come, when it does puddles begin gaining size quickly instead of one size per rain).

It's not hard to counter though until it gets fixed. Put manmade turf down in your base and an extra square out all the way around.  Put a sandbag line around the edges leaving two one space doorways, then put a line of three sandbags perpendicular to the doorway one space from the walls. Easy in and out and the base won't flood inside the sandbags as the water won't come between the guarding line of sandbags and the sandbags on the edges of the doorway. It doesn't look like I have any screenies from spring showing the water, but here's a current one attached.

Sure you'll have water all over your island, but a snakeskin hat and jacket combo gives you 100% resistance so the only annoying thing is being slowed in the puddles.

Screenshot (338).png

This is the way it's happened to me every season so I assumed it was just the way it was supposed to be. 8 or so days to prepare and then water everywhere. I kind of prefer that the one-sandbag puddle stop isn't a solution that can be employed for too long (since it makes zero sense) but I've come to know when to expect the rain to start (and rain-o-meter finally has a use, whee) so once time gets near I wait and just stop the puddles closest to my base while it's possible and usually get four or five before they grow any bigger. I'm also almost certain puddles can get bigger than 5x5, though.

I started a new game and the same thing seems to be happening.

I tried rebooting the game a few times to see if it was the bug where the puddles don't show, but still exist (I read about something like that in the meantime). But they still are not there and after walking around a bit, I never walked in a "wet" spot that would have revealed an invisible puddle.

So I'm going to consider that this is a deliberate change in the way flooding works, and I suppose that I will spend the next days collecting magma turf, logs and bamboo to make myself a nice cobblestone base with plenty of sandbags around it.

Thanks for the tips @TheDwemerEquation. Is that (your username) the name of a book in The Elder Scrolls ? I don't remember coming across any book with that title in the various games.

Archived