How to Add Mods To Dedicated Server

Hey I was trying to make my dedicated server with mods but it doesn't seem to work. I've done it before with preconfigured servers with ServerModSetup and ForceEnableMod in my steam folder but that doesn't work for my new servers that Klei posted recently. I also tried modoverride.lua but it doesn't seem to work either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey @badceltics, the filename is modoverrides.lua and not modoverride.lua. Also make sure it really is a LUA file, to check set the folder view options to Details and under File Type it should be LUA File and not Text Document. Also can you specify how you are running your server? Is it through the Quick Setup Windows Guide? If so, the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua you should be editing would be under the steamcmd folder and not under steam. It's location should be in c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods if you followed the steamcmd installation guide to the letter.

However, I'd also like to suggest a method that would probably be best when making modoverrides.lua, cause with this method you wouldn't have to fiddle around with typing out every data and making sure you're using the right syntax. This involves generating an in-client server with mods that you want to use configured to the way you want it to and then just copying it over to your own dedicated server's folder. The method is as follows:

• Start up DST.
  • Click Host Game.
  • Click New Server in Slot 1.
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start.
  • Toggle the mods you want to use.
  • Configure the mods as you see fit.
  • You don't have to make caves for this.
  • Once done, generate the world.
  • Once connected to the world, disconnect from the server.
  • Go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\
  • Under the Master folder, get the modoverrides.lua and that is the modoverrides.lua you'd want to use for your server
  • While under the Caves folder, get the leveldataoverride.lua and that is the leveldataoverride.lua for the Caves.
  • Now paste that modoverrides.lua in your own dedicated server.
  • modoverrides.lua in both Master and Caves of your dedicated server

I hope that helps, good luck. Cheers.

I am using the   Quick Setup Windows Guide that was posted. I used steamcmd to load moda and it worked fine and then i crashed on loading into world. I deleted the mods in the mod folder and tried again with less mods to see what the problem was. This time the mods wont load and i get an error that 0 mods loaded and an fmod error. Let me know what I can do.

@badceltics as I've mentioned, make sure your modoverrides.lua really is a LUA file. Secondly, try the method above to generate your modoverrides.lua if manually making the modoverrides.lua gets confusing. If editing the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua under the steamcmd folder, it's location should be in c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods still doesn't cause steamcmd to download mods for you then manually moving the mod folders from Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods to c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods should do the trick.

Alternatively, you could post your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua, modoverrides.lua, and server_log.txt files that you have so far (including the full path they are residing in), so one could pinpoint what needs to be fixed.

Archived