Having trouble setting up my first dedicated server

I'm trying to set up my first dedicated server and something isn't working right. Idk if I'm missing a step of instructions OR if I messed up somewhere along the way. I've followed the instructions laid out here:

and all of that seems fine. However, when I try to open the .bat file I created, I get this as the end result:

http://pastebin.com/MmUBhBgU

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. My friends and I have been waiting for quite some time for me to be able to set up a server so we could do the Caves content together. I'll check back here frequently (hourly lol), and hopefully someone can help :/

@boltthundara based on the log, it's either you didn't generate the client_token.txt correctly or you placed it in the wrong directory. Supposing you did follow the guide to the letter. (without changing the placeholder folder names that is given as an example), then the client_token.txt should be in the root folder of your dedicated server. Shown below is the expected overview of folders and files in each subfolder:

Spoiler

DedicatedServer.png

Colorcoded for better distinction. Each indented file/folder means it's the content of the folder preceding the indention. As examples: worldgenoverride.lua is a file under the Caves folder. Also the DoNotStarveTogether folder and StartDSTServers.bat are both the contents of the Klei Folder. Etc.

If you do have the folder's listed the exact same way (without changing any folder names, like changing MyDediServer to PrivateDedicatedServer or something like that), then everything should work. However if you did change the MyDediServer name, you'd also have to change the contents of the StartDSTServers.bat since.

Since based on Step 11 in the Guide, notice MyDediServer is written in the lines inside the .bat file. So if you did change the folder name of MyDediServer (located inside your DoNotStarveTogether folder), then you should also change the MyDediServer in the .bat file to whichever name you chose. So steamcmd can find the correct directory and find the cluster_token.txt inside.

Keep in mind, this is all speculation based on the fact that you may actually followed the instruction to the letter without changing anything else. For now I do hope it helped, if not I'll wait on your reply to clear anything I may have misunderstand or assumed incorrectly. 

@boltthundara did the shell/windows prompt split into two separate instances? One would be for your Master (overworld) the second would be for the Caves. Secondly are you sure the server.ini's really are .ini files and not .txt files only having .ini as part of the filename (resulting to server.ini.txt)? To check if they really are server.ini, open the folders you have that contains any server.ini and set the folder view to Details. If you're on Windows 10, simply click the View tab (beside Home, Share, View) of the folder options and select Details option.

After that, check whether the file type of server.ini is listed as Configuration settings and not Text Document.

If they are in fact .txt (listed as Text Document) and not .ini (listed as Configuration settings), open each of them again then click File > Save As... > Click the "Save as type:" Drop down list > Select All Files (*.*) > Save. Then delete the old server.ini.txt files.

Try the .bat again. Report back with the new server_log.txt you get in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master.

Server log from the Master folder:

http://pastebin.com/MXqNFqEi

Server log from the Caves folder:

http://pastebin.com/aECnQfM8

And I was not aware both instances were supposed to be running at the same time. Pretty sure I closed the Master instance the first time I tried this. Still not working with both tho.

EDIT: Attached both the actual files as well for good measure.

server_log.txt

server_log.txt

2 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@boltthundara can you send the two server.ini for your Master folder and Caves folder? Btw quote/mention me, so I can get notified of your reply much sooner.

First file is the Caves, second is the Master.

I'm home for the night and will be online more or less constantly til like 5 AM. I'll check back in regularly. Thank you for your help

server.ini

server.ini

@boltthundara just checked, they're completely empty. According to the Guide Step 8 and 9:

Contents of server.ini for Master should be:

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11000

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27018
authentication_port = 8768

Contents of server.ini for Caves should be:

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11001

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8769

Copy those text respectively in the right folders and save as server.ini, and then try your .bat file again.

5 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@boltthundara just checked, they're completely empty. According to the Guide Step 8 and 9:

Contents of server.ini for Master should be:

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11000

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27018
authentication_port = 8768

Contents of server.ini for Caves should be:

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11001

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8769

Copy those text respectively in the right folders and save as server.ini, and then try your .bat file again.

... Ok, no idea at all how that happened. Weird. Anyway, that seems to have worked... I think. Except after steamcmd finished going thru it's loading stuff, nothing happened. Is there something I need to do to launch the servers after .bat finishes running it's loading? Here are the two most recent server_logs

server_log.txt

server_log.txt

@boltthundara It seemed to have worked, once the following line appears on the master's shell/cmd:

[00:00:29]: World 3197167813 is now connected

That means that your server is up and running (I believe). You can go open up DST and look for your server. Do note that you should not close those running command prompts while you're playing or you will lose all progress in that world.

Depending on the cluster_name you decided and written down in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini, then that would be the name you should look for in the server list.

You can type c_shutdown() to both command prompts to close the server. After that, go change the cluster_name to something more unique (if you didn't change anything with the cluster_name given in Step 7 of the guide) so you can find it instantly through the Server Search Feature of the game.

Let me know if you're able to find it in-game or not.

@boltthundara No problem, happy to help. With regards to customizing the world did you mean changing world presets, right? And also adding mods. I'd recommend @ToNiO55's Steam guides that are linked in their signature (they replied just above you):

• Customizing World Presets - then select Add worldgenoverride.lua on both servers in the right column. That should be all that you need to follow to be able to change the world presets (i.e. More trees, bushes, creatures, etc.). Although, after adding new worldgenoverride.lua files, you have to regenerate the world by typing the following command in the command prompt of the master server.
  • c_regenerateworld()

Since the worldgenoverride.lua only kicks in during the generation of the world, so you'd have to regenerate it. Deleting the save folders in the Master and Caves folder would also result in the server having to generate a new map.

• Adding Mods to Server
  • Customizing the Server's Settings (namely the .ini files) - these include changing server intentions, adding passwords, enabling vote kicking on the server, etc.

If you happen to get stuck on something, don't hesitate to quote me again in this thread and I'll try my best to get back to you. Good luck and have fun out there, cheers.

@Zillvr@ToNiO55

Ok, I was able to customize the world gen override, but I'm having trouble with mods. I'm following this guide:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=591543858

and I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. I think because I used a different method of installation than he used, I need slightly different steps. I think I need to create a file like " dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua " but I'm not sure what it needs to be titled (if something else) or where to put it.

EDIT: Or do I need to create a folder in the C drive named "server" with a subfolder "mods"?

@boltthundara

here path directory for your installation:

c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\modoverrides.lua

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\modoverrides.lua

if a file is not present, create the file

warning your file need to type .lua

you can see example in my guide for create file .lua:

"Enable and configure mods for preconfigured server with Steam Tools - Part 1"

@ToNiO55

Still working on the mods, but I found another problem in the meantime. Server loads up and plays like it should UNTIL I try to go to Caves. When I mine a Plugged Sinkhole and go thru, instead of going to a Cave setting, it takes me to a new overworld server. This scared me practically to death when I spawned RIGHT NEXT TO THE QUEEN'S GATHERING SET PIECE O_O

Anyway, I'm sure the problem is somewhere in my wordgenoverride.lua files. I've included both of those here.

worldgenoverride.lua.txt

worldgenoverride.lua.txt

@boltthundara that is the same case I mentioned before, remember when I mentioned server.ini.txt? Those files you sent aren't actually .lua files but are worldgenoverride.lua.txt. To save them as .lua files, do the same I mentioned before with saving files as .ini but instead save them as .lua. 

Then make sure they're LUA file. Here's where I mentioned it.

@Zillvr @ToNiO55That got it fixed and my lua files seem to be working just fine. Just spent about an hour testing stuff with a friend and that's good atm. Server runs smooth as butter and caves content is as terrifying as ever.

Unfortunately, mods are still not working. As far as I can tell, it is a problem with the "mod index". I'm not sure what that is or how to fix it. Here are my most recent server logs.

server_log.txt

server_log.txt

@boltthundara what mods are you trying to run? Did they get downloaded into steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods? After that, based on ToNiO55's guide, select and follow Enable and configure mods for preconfigured server with Steam Tools - Part 1 which is the 14th listed item in the right column (starting with 1. Overview, 2. Summary, 3. Subscribe on Steam Workshop..etc.).

So you'd need to create new lua files called modoverrides.lua saved in bot the Master and Caves folders.

6 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@boltthundara what mods are you trying to run? Did they get downloaded into steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods? After that, based on ToNiO55's guide, select and follow Enable and configure mods for preconfigured server with Steam Tools - Part 1 which is the 14th listed item in the right column (starting with 1. Overview, 2. Summary, 3. Subscribe on Steam Workshop..etc.).

So you'd need to create new lua files called modoverrides.lua saved in bot the Master and Caves folders.

Ok, I'm missing something here. All of my mods exist in DST, but not in the steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods folder. I also do not understand how to get them into that folder.

EDIT: I already created the rest of the lua files I should need. Still need to set up configs for some of them, but that can wait for when I get them running tbh

dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

modoverrides.lua

modoverrides.lua

@boltthundara if you already have the mod folders in Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods, just copy them over to steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods folder. After that you just need to create the two modoverrides.lua files I believe.

Archived