End Game Suggestion: Boss Island

Waddya think?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Waddya think?

• I like this idea as it is, make it happen!
    • I like where the idea is headed, I've written my thoughts below...
    • I don't like this idea at all, get me outta here!

It would be a cool feature that once a certain condition is met (time passed perhaps) that a new land bridge and island comes out of the water attached randomly to the island. Effectively, it will add a single circular land mass-a unique turf-where all of your time spent in preparation will either pay off or backfire. On the island would be a series of tests to challenge your preparedness and survival skills.

Some ideas:

1. Navigating a maze with hostile mobs or traps

2. A character specific challenge based on who you're playing as - this could be the boss. Like, for Wilson you have to defeat the "Barber" who can't grow a beard for himself and envies your own... etc.

3. Endless night, where it never becomes day?

4. Endless winter?

5. Possibly it's a lava mass, since it's an island rising out of the ocean, it could be formed by flowing lava which can set you on fire if you don't watch your step.

Anyways, before I develop this in my noggin for too long, what would everybody feel about having this sort of an end-game boss island?

The problem is that this is a survival game as opposed to a level-based game, so the idea of an end game level doesn't really fit in. There's also nothing in the game at the moment that would motivate the player to do this. I understand they might want the challenge, but if they defeat the 'boss', then what? What item could be used to reward them? It seems like it would be a bit anti-climactic to go back to a normal game afterwards. I agree that the game's difficulty should increase as the game continues, and not just by increasing the waves of Hounds, but the idea of a Boss Island just doesn't seem to go. That is, of course, just my opinion.

I think the key to the idea might rest in the criticism: there's no motivation to do it. That gives me a good thing to think about there :D if there was motivation to go to the island and complete it, I do feel that it fits with the theme of the game. I don't see it as a level per say, but the next challenge to your survivability as time progresses. After all, the game requires us to die in order to unlock the next character, so it may just be a very glorious way to "check out".

But I'll consider what might give motivation and reward to attempting the challenge, thanks for the comment!