[Suggestion] Unloading Spear From Loaded Spear Gun

Currently the Spear Gun can be used by loading it with a crafted Spear held up by your cursor then right clicking the Spear (Normal/Poison/Obsidian) on top of the Spear Gun. Doing so allows you to fire the loaded Spear Gun at any creature.

Sadly, I think this feature is missing an Unload function. The only way to take out the spear is to use it on a creature and then picking up the used Spear after it hits the creature, but sometimes you'd rather not waste the Spear Gun or the Spear's durability for a specific creature you may be dealing with.

So I'd like to suggest an Unload function to be added to the Spear Gun by changing the Right Click + CTRL function from (the current action) Equip to (now suggested action) Unload since Right Click solely by default on a loaded Spear Gun is also (currently) Equip.

Unloading a loaded Spear Gun will remove the Spear from it; change the loaded Spear Gun graphic into it's unloaded Spear Gun version ; the Spear Gun and the Spear's durability will remain unchanged BUT instead of the pick up/give/drop animation which what the loading function does, unloading the Spear Gun will utilize the crafting animation as a drawback for unloading it. 

This way players will be more cautious of unloading a Spear Gun during a hostile battle with a creature for the option to not waste the Spear Gun or the Spear's durability for that creature they are fighting.

I hope this makes sense and seems reasonable enough with the drawback I mentioned. Thanks for the read.

Cheers.

Upon closer inspection and extreme testing, I have found that a loaded spear gun disassembles if you drop it on the floor. Ignore this whole post, but I won't delete it cause people may wonder what I originally thought. 

Sorry for not testing it. Mentioning @Mr.P and @voyager156 since they dropped by my post before this edit.

Cheers.

@Luponius since the update, the way to use a Spear Gun has been changed as well as their artwork. The Wiki isn't updated yet and I've mentioned above how the Spear Gun works in the latest build. To reiterate, crafting the Spear Gun (now costs 3x bamboo and 1x live Jellyfish) would give you a new prefab called spear_launcher which is unloaded (artwork attached in the spoiler below). Loading a spear of any kind (normal, poison, obsidian, Wigfrid's battle spear and even the Peg Leg which is currently bugged though) by drop right clicking the ammo on to the speargun_launcher would change the spear_launcher from unloaded to loaded with the appropriate ammo artwork.

Upon using the loaded speargun by clicking attack on an enemy, the spear ammo you used would appear where you hit your enemy. The spear gun has 8x uses while each ammo used also cuts down on their durability by 10. 

Spoiler

spearlauncherandammo.thumb.png.bcdb2a96f

From left to right: spear, unloaded spear gun, loaded obsidian spear gun, loaded poison spear gun , loaded spear gun, loaded battle spear gun and their ammo obsidian spear, poison spear, battle spear.

Anyway, upon testing some more I realized my suggestion is no longer necessary. The loaded spear gun disassembles if you drop it on the floor.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Zillvr said:

Upon using the loaded speargun by clicking attack on an enemy, the spear ammo you used would appear where you hit your enemy. The spear gun has 8x uses while each ammo used also cuts down on their durability by 10. 

Yeah I was referring to the fact ammo appears where the enemy was.  I was hoping we had some way of reeling them back in instead of swimming over to them.  Call it a new feature suggestion if you will.

@Luponius in that case, I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post. I figured you were wondering what the new speargun does since you worded it as "but can they not be...." which I assumed meant you thought that the new update allows you to reel in the spear back. With regards to that though, I believe having the spear appear where you hit the enemy is a necessary drawback to the increased damage of the spear gun based on the used ammo. 

Cheers.

Archived