Help regarding starting to mod? + some concept art for everyone's favorite infiltrator ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yello, I am getting into modding for Invisible Inc, and already got some ideas swimming around.

I have a little experience in modding, I've got halfway through making a don't starve character and I have made a skin and a hat for tf2, but thats more or less the extent of what I've done. I really am more of an artist than a programmer after all.

So, I've skimmed through the docs a little, but I can't quite nail down exactly how the .anim files work and how to extract them, or how to extract the kwads.

I want to decompile the agents to see how they are layered. Is it as simple as a frame by frame animation, or is it some weird vector animation stuff? Are all the body parts contained in one image, or does it use some complicated layering stuff? Genuinely curious.

Basically what I'm asking is, can anyone give a small list of the tools I need to create an agent?

Also, the agent I am focusing on is a recreation of Solid Snake from the MGS series, I was surprised no one took this idea. I,Inc. even has the same tagline as Metal Gear.

I didn't perfectly recreate the I,Inc. style but hey, at least I can call it mine. Anyway, I am thinking of doing something with the codec implanted in his ear as the augment, and his starting weapon will probably be similar to the refurbished revolver in the sense that it is technically a gunpowder gun but re purposed to do the plasma stuff. That way I can get away with giving the iconic tactical look with a silencer and stuff.

what whaaat

Check out @Shirsh guide.

Animation use the same scheme as in Don't Starve. Abobe Flash tool is your friend in this case. The guide has a link to Klei's speech about their animation creation process at GDC.

Unfortunately theres no examples of a source animation files (flash files) and those provided in the "Example API mod" are in KLEI's intermediate format (.anim zip archives) that "KWADBuilder" packages into KWAD file.

@Shirsh approach involves working with available intermediate format by changing xml values, running a game and checking the results. It's super time consuming and i think you will go crazy creating all custom animations using this approach. @Shirsh did a couple of "new" characters by replacing their existing "parts" with new images, making some adjustments to offset their positions and reusing original agent animation. In other words - it's a "skin" mod. I think this is the best you can get right now.

Also nice portrait! Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAKE!!!

Yo, quick question while I find my way around this: could I theoretically repaint Banks's cloak as a head band for my character? I want the tails of his head band to follow behind him.

Why not take a Decker's cloak, if you not plan to make Snake with female agents animations? It should be possible but it could be a hell of a work.

Just now, Shirsh said:

Why not take a Decker's cloak, if you not plan to make Snake with female agents animations? It should be possible but it could be a hell of a work.

@Shirsh oh yeah you are right, it didn't cross my mind. for some reason i forgot he had a cloak haha

So basically I need to get the headband to trail, and if it really is like Dont Starve, I should just be able to move the values for the cloak part to level with his head, and then repaint it, right?

Yes, I opened folder with Decker's sprites now. There is a group of files named cot_clr_00-xx used for coat/cloak when he stay on one place (and some could be for a walk, that normally for guards) and cotl_clr_00-xx - those mostly for running (and appear in some actions like console jacking).

In build.xml there's a blocks for first and second groups, with coordinates. It could be a pain to find best new coordinates, but it possible.

4 minutes ago, Shirsh said:

There is a group of files named cot_clr_00-xx used for coat/cloak when he stay on one place

There latter of then for a long coat, if you compare it with Sharp's you'll see which of them attached to upper pieces

9 minutes ago, malistaticy said:

its difficult to pull off here too 

it's not too difficult, to add second copy of already existing part, but it's a dull process of copying, pasteing and renaming. Actually the more I think about... it's not hard, just require to sit for a hour and do it, hmmm. I made similiar thing: added to drone animation extra effect from other drone (I have like 70% done mod with lady-agent who can deploy drone, but can't finish it: can't understand, is it fun to play or not, is it overpowered or not, etc >_< ).

Archived