Dedicated Server Watch List.

I haven't spent much time here on the forums and I've tried searching through the forums looking, but haven't been find anything.for what I'm about to post.

I became an admin for Niko's Outback Steakhouse a few weeks ago and I'm looking to network with other admins and create a watch list that includes people that try to grief, hack and exploit.

I used to rent and administrate two dedicated servers for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and I created a network of over 100 admins where we kept in contact with one another. We would let each other know when we had players that tried griefing, using their trigger bots, aim bots, wall hacks and exploits. I would never suspend or ban a player without screenshots, video and logs and would review it on a case by case basis. If a player was suspended or banned on one server, after evaluating the evidence, he/she would be blacklisted within a few days and would be unable to connect to any of our other servers. It helped deter players from that behaviour because spending 5 minutes with their hacks would result in being blacklisted from over 150 servers.

I want to create a similar network for Don't Starve Together. If someone here on the forums has already established a thread, I would greatly appreciate it if you would direct me to it. If no such network exists, I would like to start working on getting it started here on the forums and creating a group on steam for admins to talk amongst one another. I want to not only keep the servers I'm an admin for clean, but the DST community as well.

On 2/3/2016 at 1:55 AM, bjklein89 said:

..... *the whole post*

Hello ,

so your idea is nice but ,

at some point its not fair , yes some people will grief or Cheat (not hack - hacking is about computers or servers) ,

but to the point making such an system would cost a bit of money i guess to Klei and maybe use more RAM of any server ,

but to the point it would be very very bad ; because , lets say someone cheated on some servers ok , he got banned by what ever is it - and he can't anymore play on public servers .                                                                                                                                                              after a while that user have grown and stopped cheating , but what?! - he is banned and won't get unbanned and well because of this he could't play "DST" , -The End.

So...

lets take an example of VAC (Valve Anti Cheat) ;

Some player gets banned from ah lets say "Team Fortress 2" for cheating , he bought some stuff in the game .... before he got banned , and well after a while he got grown up and he can't play ...

Now Valve won't unban this player , and well he too can't trade , So the point of the game is been lost.

The main point is :

Anti-Cheaters or else.... 

would be bad , their is an good amount of mods for servers that an admin could use to ban an player or teleport to them , and to just ban them on an huge community group of servers - just get his "DST" ID or something and make an Bot that will add that to any "DST" server of the community group of servers 

I think bjklein89 is not talking about a specific technical implementation but rather the idea of having a community/network where server-admins could report and get information about cheaters/griefers. How this could be implemented technology-wise is not scope of this initial thought, I guess, although a technical implementation of some sort would be cool. And regarding the banning of players - I guess every server-admin can decide on his own, how long a player gets banned. If you want to ban them forever on your server, you can do it. If you want to ban someone for one hour, you just ban him for one hour. That's up to you.

During my time as admin in Wolfenstein, I had a section dedicated to appeals for lifting a suspension or ban. There were a few people that made an effort to type out and some even made an apology on video. I lifted a few bans and some played the game legitimately with no further problems and others would toggle on their bots on the second they joined my servers which would result in a permanent ban with no chance of a second appeal. The system I implemented was a case by case basis and it was up to the discretion of each of the admins to make a decision based on the information we shared.

The solution may be to just stop players from being able to destroy other players things. Tonight alone I played on 3 games, all in the cooperative mode. Each one ended in flames brought on by a ghost. I dont know how to report people for these issues, no one does. I think maybe we ought to try to stop punishing players who use the tools they have available and just take away the tools since they're not just a minor issue. This kind of behavior will lead to this games death. It's very upsetting building and striving to have your 3 hours of work taken away by someone who you cant stop in any way.

A full Ban would defiantly reduce the incidents though. Ban a player from all servers for 3 days the first time and 10 days every time after and i think it'll stop real quick.

The only problem i see there is that someone could report an innocent to try to get them banned because they're just being mean. I don't know how powerful Klei is at looking into those things but maybe it ought to require pictures or video evidence

It would be great if we could just have all the players on a server type "/report username" and if a lot people do that at the same time it gets them banned. It's not like the only problem is griefers. Tonight there was someone who died and became a ghost and wouldn't stop talking about bathing people in their ghostly fluids and used a variety of obscene words. His name was in the quotations "[]\ /-\|.." yeah that was him. That first symbol looks like a square, it was [ ] without the space.

Klei Will get some seriously bad rep if they don't do something about this. I think they should just take away all ghost powers and penalize the people for a set amount of time instead of indefinitely (like they get used to the ghost and it stops bothering them)

Archived