Put cave spiders on the surface

Hey @CassieCroft I don't think they could be generated by the game via tweaking the worldgenoverride.lua. The only most logical reason for that server to have spiderholes (cave spider dens) on the overworld is that they had a mod that does it for them. Namely the Advanced World Generation Mod.

With regards to the worldgenoverride.lua, the only presets that directly involves generating cave spiderdens or spiderholes (that I know) are shown below:

return {	
override_enabled = true,	
preset = "SURVIVAL_TOGETHER", --  or "SURVIVAL_TOGETHER" or "SURVIVAL_TOGETHER_CLASSIC" or "SURVIVAL_DEFAULT_PLUS" or "COMPLETE_DARKNESS" or "DST_CAVE"	
	misc = {
		start_location = "default", -- "caves", "default", "plus", "darkness"
		task_set = "default", -- "classic", "default", "cave_default"
	}
}

I've tested all possible combinations of Preset = "DST_CAVE" or "SURVIVAL_TOGETHER", start_location = "default" or "caves", task_set = "default" or "cave_default" with the results shown below:

Spoiler

SURVIVAL_TOGETHER - caves - default - cave-like overworld but no spiderholes
SURVIVAL_TOGETHER - caves - cave_default - overworld stuck on attempting to spawn pigking 
SURVIVAL_TOGETHER - default - cave_default - overworld stuck on attempting to spawn pigking 
DST_CAVE - default - default - cave-like overworld but no spiderholes
DST_CAVE - caves - default - cave-like overworld but no spiderholes
DST_CAVE - default - cave_default - fully cave overworld

That's it I guess, short answer is generating cave spiders in the overworld is not possible through tweaking the worldgenoverride.lua but most likely only possible through the mod mentioned above. I hope that's the type of information you needed, good luck and have fun out there. Cheers.

Archived