Liberators

Liberators 
A fictional Don't Starve Together story

I joined an Endless PvP server with my two friends. It was a pretty populated one, having 17 players on. The server settings had everything essential for new spawns (flint, grass, twigs etc) turned on to lots. In addition, it had a mod that regenerated the world. This was a truly endless server, and the three of us joined. I chose WX-78, and my friends chose Wickerbottom and Wigfrid, we joined just late into summer. After the first three days we spent gathering, it was evident that the world was not normal. There should have been much more resources with everything set to lots and a world regeneration. But we didn't find our answer until early autumn. We were setting up a small base, we had a science machine, crock pot and we're building some chests when a Wendy approached our base and asked to stay for the night. This Wendy had some good gear, she had a piggyback and walking cane, so she had obviously been playing for quite a while. Through the night Wigfrid decided to boast about out accomplishments to the newcomer, telling her we could kill anybody in our way. 

"Not The King" was her response. She quickly explained that "The King" had been on the server since it started. She told us he was a fully upgraded WX-78 who made a giant fortress around the Pig King. "Is that why he's called 'The King'?" Wickerbottom asked. Wendy explained that it was because he was the only person on the server with a thulecite crown. He was apparently a tyrant who had destroyed all of the Ancient Pseudoscience stations, and he had an army of 8 or 9 people guarding his base. I dismissed this as an exaggeration, but Wendy was persistent. That's when I realized most of the resources must have been relocated inside of The King's base. In order to fit all of those resources, Wendy must have been telling at least part of the truth.

Once Wendy left in the morning, we made a plan. We would dethrone The King and liberate the server from his tyranny. I went myself to scout the base, while I left my teammates to continue gathering and expanding our base. I asked in chat for some directions and quickly found the base. Now I've built some pretty good bases in my day, but this place was something else. It had one entrance, and the base took up server all screens. This wasn't just some casual base, this was a hardcore, coordinated fortress. The only entrance had two Wolfgang's standing guard, they quickly warned me to stay out of the base and not to come too close. The base was surrounded by stone walls, and the base probably had a dozen ice flingomatics. I could see rows and rows of stuff in the base. There were at least 40 chests and 8 ice boxes. They had more drying racks than I could count, and they had huge grass, twig and berry farms. There were three people manning the ice boxes, cooking food on the 30 crockpots and organizing the ice boxes. The pig king must have been in the dead centre of the base, because I couldn't see it from the outside. This was not going to be an easy feat liberating this place. 

Night quickly fell as I was circling the outside of the base, and I made a little campfire to spend the night. Meanwhile Wigfrid and Wickerbottom had added a chest and some drying racks to our little base. They had also located the person with Chester, who seemed to be able to access The King's base whenever he wanted. I quickly formulated part of my master plan. We needed fire and sleep darts, so I told Wigfrid to build lots of bird traps. As day broke I continued circling the base, and I headed back to meet Wigfrid. Our base was progressing well, we spent the rest of autumn gathering  the things essential to our plan. By the start of winter we had some fire darts, sleep darts, 9 gunpowder, and log suits and spears. We were doing pretty well, and that night I told my plan to my teammates. First, we would get through the entrance, killing the guards. Next, we would drop some killer bees in the base as a distraction, maybe light part of the base on fire for added effect. Then, we would grab any goods in the chests and get out before the rest of the base could arrive. Wickerbottom thought we should storm the base, but I reasoned that to liberate the server we would need to start small and get enough resources to make ourselves stronger. Once we were stronger, we would be able to kill The King and destroy the base. 

We prepared our spears and armour, and went to the base. We camped about a screen away from the base, as the morning came and the Wilson who had Chester emerged, we followed him. Eventually, as it was dusk and Wilson was returning to the base, Chester got stuck on some trees. I quickly stole all the stuff from him and loaded him with my 9 gunpowder. We followed behind Wilson, and as he passed the two Wolfgang's and started dumping stuff in a chest, I shot Chester with 4 blow darts, followed by a fire dart. Chester died, but since he died to a fire dart, the gunpowder began smouldering. Wilson realized what was happening a second to late. He ran over just to have the gunpowder explode and kill him. 

The Wolfgang's charged. I dispatched Wigfrid to deal with one of the guards while Wickerbottom and I fought the other. The Wolfgang was a skilled fighter, but he was no match for us. We quickly killed him and left Wigfrid to deal with the other one. I told Wickerbottom to check the chests while I went over to the ice boxes, we had to move quickly, reinforcements would arrive quickly. I grabbed two stacks of jerky from the first ice box, then I hammered it down and grabbed the precious gear. While I was hammering the third ice box a Wendy came and attacked me. 

It was obvious she just cooked food on the crock pots though, since she was awful at kiting and I quickly eliminated her. After I broke the fourth ice box, I just torched the row of crock pots. I didn't want to push my luck by staying here too long. Meanwhile, Wickerbottom had searched the chests, but they were full of grass, twigs, and other junk. Wigfrid had hammered the flingomatics near the entrance, so my crock pot fire wouldn't be interrupted. Night fell, and we slipped out of the base under the cover of the night. I grabbed the eye bone on my way out. We had only won a minor victory, but this was only the beginning. 

Beautiful... but how 2 Wolfgangs would commit to being guards all day is amazing to think about... oppression, boredom, fear, or loneliness... or just being good friends with the "King"... it's interesting to say the least. A good read once again.

7 hours ago, MiniKeeper said:

We camped about a screen away from the base, and as the morning camp(?)

5 hours ago, Asparagus said:

Beautiful... but how 2 Wolfgangs would commit to being guards all day is amazing to think about... oppression, boredom, fear, or loneliness... or just being good friends with the "King"... it's interesting to say the least. A good read once again.

Fixed the typo, thanks for pointing that out. Thanks for the feedback!

Archived