Multiplayer Naughtiness Score (Grief Solution)

I've come to realize that in this game the likelihood of the main base not being burnt down before winters over is so high that it might be better to just implement a naughtiness system.  Each player gets a naughtiness score stored in an online database.  Each day the score goes down by so many points that left alone it will return to 0.  A person burning down a base with 10 people will likely result in him getting reported by each person and getting a naughtiness score of 10. 

Now when you start up a server, you can designate if you want a minimum naughtiness level to join with the least amount of naughtiness being about 20 or so.  This cushion of 20 pts is to protect from the griefers using their naughtiness reports on innocent people now that they're being shut out.  You will also only have so many pts to use per day to report someone to prevent people from report griefing others.  You could also include a whitelist for your server alongside the banlist to allow certain people in encase dozens of griefers unite to attack one lone person (but they could do this right now anyway so it shouldn't be an issue).  With the right balance this system could fix almost all this nonsense people and admins have to put up with online on a day to day basis.

I'm all for a reputation system.  The idea I had was by a player's name, along with the inspect player and mute player buttons, there would be upvote and downvote buttons, as well as a number.  Upvote players you like, and downvote players you don't like. Servers could have a block for those under a certain reputation, and I like your method of negative reputations slowly returning to 0; greifers would have a steep penalty, but it would only last for a shortish time, and they'd likely learn from it, but in case they don't, it should return to -5 or so.

I'd be cool if it affected their quotes when inspected. Someone with a reputation of 5 or so, when inspected will make your character say something like "he seems like a decent chap", and someone with a reputation of -5 or so will make you say something like "He's kinda shifty-looking".  A higher reputation, say +20 will say something like "I've heard tales of his great kindness", and -20 will say something along the lines of "I've heard tales of his great crimes."  +500 will be "He must be a celebrity!" -500 will be "What brought this demon here?"  +10000 "Is that a klei dev?"

The 2 ideas are pretty similar; the main differences being whether or not there's positive reputation, and whether or not there's a max reputation give points per day or per player.  I suppose I thought it was a given that you can only up/down vote any given player once, but you may choose to remove that up/down vote and re-vote, if your opinion on that person changes.

I still much prefer mine or kitche's idea.  This wouldn't work at all most of the time because as soon as they burn your base down they leave the server and that's that.  It doesn't do anything to prevent it from happening in the first place and seems more of a thing for extra entertainment then an anti-griefing solution since their solution is to act after it happens where you want to prevent it from happening in the first place. 

Each server is unique so you can't have krampus follow them to another server so they'll just hop on one, burn as much as they can before they are caught, leave, then rinse and repeat on a different one.  A reputation system of sorts is really whats needed.

Archived