Shadow hand spawn rate is insane in DST

Dantedeathhermit

I've been noticing for a long time now in Don't Starve Together that the spawn rate for shadow hands is like 2 every 30 seconds, and it's annoying as hell because they spawn even if our sanity is full.

I've tried searching high and low for some sort of way to set the spawn rate lower through console commands or modding but I can't find anything except people complaining about dying to them.

I understand they're meant to add some extra danger to night time but it stops being spooky and just becomes infuriating when we're frantically running around chasing these things off constantly.

It feels less we're trying to fend off the occasional night terror and more like we're swatting flies off a beefalo dropping, only it's rapidly draining our sanity constantly while we're also trying to do other stuff at night like sort our inventory or make plans for the next day, it's immersion breaking and broken.

This needs changed, it's not compelling, it's not challenging, it's just irritating.

(If someone could point me in the direction of how to alter the spawn rate, even if it means modding them out of the game entirely, then I'd be much obliged.  Also does anyone know how to delete the grassy spot where Geese nests spawn?  Or is it a set place in the map that they will spawn whether that grassy patch is there or not?)

Seriously? Of all things to complain about, you choose the thing you can solve by walking in a  circle with a torch? I hardly even motice the hands half the time, because you just have to push one back, erase the second, and then erase the first one. Really, they aren't difficult at all. They aren't annoying, they're just there.

it's annoying as hell because they spawn even if our sanity is full.

They spawn if any player has less than 75% of their sanity. (Less than 150, if 200 is max)

Two suggestions here:

1) Start a fire low, then wait for hands. If you hear them, then max out the fire. That will reach them and kill them, no running needed.

2) Drop a lantern.

If you want to edit it out, go to (Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data)/scripts/components/shadowhandspawner.lua,

and edit MAX_HANDS_PER_FIRE from 2 to 0.

To remove a Goose nesting ground, stand next to it with your character, and input in console

c_find("moose_nesting_ground"):Remove()

Seriously? Of all things to complain about, you choose the thing you can solve by walking in a  circle with a torch? I hardly even motice the hands half the time, because you just have to push one back, erase the second, and then erase the first one. Really, they aren't difficult at all. They aren't annoying, they're just there.

It's annoying when you are trying to sort out 8 chests of inventory that your friend messed up the sorting for while trying to chase off shadow hands.

It's only really particularly annoying during winter TBH.

They spawn if any player has less than 75% of their sanity. (Less than 150, if 200 is max)

Two suggestions here:

1) Start a fire low, then wait for hands. If you hear them, then max out the fire. That will reach them and kill them, no running needed.

2) Drop a lantern.

If you want to edit it out, go to (Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data)/scripts/components/shadowhandspawner.lua,

and edit MAX_HANDS_PER_FIRE from 2 to 0.

To remove a Moose nesting ground, stand next to it with your character, and input in console

c_find("moose_nesting_ground"):Remove()

I've not played the game for a while and I showed this thread to my friend, turns out she had less than 75% of her health so that's why they were spawning, must've patched out the bug where they spawn no matter what your sanity is. (maybe?)

Thank you for the help anyway.

Archived