[Bug] Mandrakes

FloatyBoatyKnight

I had started up a new Don't Starve SW world and I found a mandrake a mile away. I picked it and then ran around for a while doing other things. At night, I decided to cook it. As soon as I clicked the "cook" button on the fire pit, I immediately fell asleep. When I woke up, I had a cooked mandrake in my inventory. I ate it and fell asleep again. Is this a bug, or is this something intentional?

EDIT: I now realize this is not a bug. Excuse me! :(

• Developer

It is indeed intentional, mandrakes are roots that closely resembles humans, in mythology/folklore, their cry was fatal.

In DS, the Mandrake puts things to sleep with its cry, thus why the Pan flute (which requires mandrakes to craft) puts nearby mobs to sleep.

When you cook it, it cries, immediately putting you to sleep.

When you eat it, I only assume the same chemicals and/or magic it uses to put other things to sleep take their toll on you and put you to sleep :p

• Developer

Hmmhmm! Oh, when you cook/eat it, not only you are put to sleep until the next cycle of the day (eaten at daytime, wakes at dusk; dusk to night; night to daytime) but all nearby mobs are put to sleep as well!

Also, welcome to the forums! I hope you have a great time around here :D

Archived