Adventure mode?

Is this game ever going to get an adventure mode like in the single player game? My friends and I think it's pretty offputting that the game just goes on forever with no purpose, and I think it would be 100 times more fun if you could beat the game (((:

My friends and I think it's pretty offputting that the game just goes on forever with no purpose, and I think it would be 100 times more fun if you could beat the game (((:

So you are saying that you and your friends routinely kill all giants, so everyone has Eyebrella, Hibearnation Vest and a couple of Scalemails, and caves are no challenge for you anymore? Congrats!

I do agree that an adventure mode should be added. Perhaps it could require some sort of cooperation between players to be beaten? I was thinking in a style similar to triforce heroes, in which players must time things correctly, press buttons, fight mobs, and use different items to succeed. 

I do agree that an adventure mode should be added. Perhaps it could require some sort of cooperation between players to be beaten? I was thinking in a style similar to triforce heroes, in which players must time things correctly, press buttons, fight mobs, and use different items to succeed. 

dude...TTA...TTA!!!

Although I have my doubts on seeing an adventure mode for multiplayer, especially with the content Klei is trying to produce right now (Through the Ages, Shipwrecked, other games...), you could do other things to entertain your friends if you have chests upon chests of every type of gem, have killed every giant numerous times, mapped out the caves and killed the guardian, and of course, have a lot of resources.

You can create minigames of sorts if monsters and general survival pose no threat, such as getting you and your friends on beefalo and having a battle royal to see who the last surviving beefalo is if you're rather sadistic and care not for such creatures.

You could also go hunting various mobs as a scavenger hunt type of game if you have a point system of sorts for mob rewards, or finally...

You could hunt the most dangerous of games, people who die on day one yet had enough materials for a trap players! Allow one random player to join your game, give them X amount of days to get prepared, and hunt them down.

Summary: If your so resource rich and bored, make your own fun.

While I'd enjoy seeing a multiplayer version of Adventure Mode, we'll be waiting a while for that because they've got other stuff in the pipeline first. Also they'd probably have to change the ending somehow, because only one person at a time can sit on the Nightmare Throne as far as I know, and I think DST is supposed to take place after singleplayer Adventure Mode concludes anyway rather than being an alternate universe so there's likely to be unrevealed story stuff that it would need to address there.

And I don't know how much they'd need to change the maps, but making significantly different ones (whether they used the same ideas as the existing maps or started from scratch) would be an opportunity to take advantage of the multiplayer format and create situations designed to force players into either banding together or fighting over resources. The singleplayer maps have scarcer resources than in Sandbox Mode, but something that can really only be overcome by either multiple people working as a team or one person who's taken everybody else's stuff would be nifty. And now that I'm thinking about it, if cooperative and competitive approaches were both supposed to be workable they'd need to change the way progression to the next world works, because if everyone had to be ready to move on to the next world at the same time then sabotaging your rivals would be sabotaging yourself too but allowing one person or team to be ahead of or behind the others would be at least as resource-intensive as caves.

If what you want is the challenge of Adventure Mode rather than having an official victory condition and an ending, you could make challenge servers that are like some of the Adventure Mode worlds. Two Worlds, Archipelago, and The Game is Afoot are basically impossible to replicate without either mods, an external map editor, or the host painstakingly spawning things in, but you could imitate King of Winter by making a winter-only map, A Cold Reception by increasing rain and frog rain and setting all the seasons to Very Short, and Darkness by playing a particularly harsh Lights Out world. Since there's no Teleportato, you'd have to either spawn in the pieces (making the host more like the GM than a player) or come up with your own victory condition, and then reset the server after that.

Archived