Code changes since Shipwrecked

Has anyone else noticed the way errors are handled since the Shipwrecked update? For vanilla DS, not just shipwrecked

You know, when the game encountered an error, it would crash and go to the error message screen "Warning!" and it'd give a bunch of information of where the error was coming from and what line of code.

And now, it just... Doesn't? Well, sometimes it does. 

Whenever an entity encounters an error, it doesn't crash the game. The entity involved in the error just...freezes. And the game keeps going.

Sometimes its everything on screen that freezes. Sometimes it's just one character.

For example stategraph errors only freeze the creature with that stategraph instead of crashing the game. I think.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I going crazy? Or is it only on my end?

A few other changes I've noticed off the top of my head. 

inst.components.playercontroller:Enable(false)   doesn't seem to do anything anymore.

ColorTweens seem to continue to tween even after their task has been ended

That's all I got

Yeah, I've noticed a bit of that too (I don't work with stategraphs though, so I wouldn't know about that). It's quite annoying when it tries to handle an error by hiding it from you. I've also noticed that the format of errors has changed, and also now includes a table dump of some sort (which is usually unhelpful).

Yeah, I've noticed a bit of that too (I don't work with stategraphs though, so I wouldn't know about that). It's quite annoying when it tries to handle an error by hiding it from you. I've also noticed that the format of errors has changed, and also now includes a table dump of some sort (which is usually unhelpful).

So I'm NOT crazy!!

Hm, I wonder if it was intentional. I can kind of see how this would make gameplay a little smoother for new players if the entire game didn't stop every time one small "inst not defined" blip showed up.

But at the same time, it would kind of make it harder for them to find out what's wrong if players keep having errors and all they can give back is "my game froze" instead of an error report.

Also makes it MUCH harder to bug test for us modders like us. I wonder if they could put in a mode that re-enables it for modding. Like having it only active if debugkeys or cheats is enabled.

but you still have log file and it is more useful than crash screen

>small "inst not defined"

when i played moded ToME that was my first impression, instead of crashing game there a error report window with ability to send message to author and you will continue playing, that was fine until repeatable error appears. I was spammed for tons messages like this. But it's turn based game, so i can handle it, but how DS should react on "small" problem. What if GetPlayer() will return nil all times, how it's should handled?

No, crash is right reacting here. It's better than killed save file.

Archived