Brief Character Idea: An Archaeologist

TMJJack

I was just thinking the other day about some of the characters the other day, and came up with what I think is pretty good idea for another character that could be modded in or whatever. I'm not going to pursue it at all, but I thought it would be a neat concept to at least share.

So I came up with the idea of a character named Watson. He's an archaeologist that tampered with some ancient science in the ruins and got cursed. Watson's a lot like an extreme version of Wickerbottom.

-Blessed and cursed with infinite knowledge

-Insane fighter

The curse is severely double-edged. He can craft ANYTHING right off the bat as long as he has the resources, but if he crafts something without first prototyping it with a science machine, alchemy engine, shadow manipulator, ect., he takes radical hits to his sanity, health, and/or hunger. The hit would be stronger the more expensive the crafting recipe. Crafting ancient items away from the Ancient Pseudo Science Station would always have negative consequences since those recipes are never really "learned."

I was also thinking that he might undergo some changes once he falls below a certain sanity. Before going insane, he says normal archaeologist stuff, but while insane he spouts out cold facts like a machine. His eyes might be normal when sane like Wilson's but blank when insane like Willow's. An attack buff while insane would be neat too such as boost in damage or a quicker attack period.

Once again, I don't really have any plans with all this or if I've even shared this in the right place. I just thought it would be a fun idea.

Sounds like a good character!

Two concerns though:

1. Firstly, "Watson"? Really?! There's so many names with "W" at the start, and you chose "Watson"? Is this a reference to some real archeologist?
  2. Secondly, this character would need to change crafting quite severely to achieve that (without breaking the normal characters either). Everything else should be doable by amateur modders, but this main trait of his is a little more complicated.

Archived