Time going by when not playing

I recently set up a dedicated server using the pre-configured steam install.  I have noticed that the day I'm playing and the world day is off.  This is my 2nd world using the dedicated server.  The 1st world was way off.  The play day was around Day 5 and the world day was around Day 21.  The 2nd world I'm playing now is only off by 2 days.  Why does this happen?

@joeberg, based on what I know that would revolve around the fact that you haven't set up the dedicated server to pause when empty. Game runs on its own time when pause_when_empty = true is not specified under the [network] tag in the settings.ini of the dedicated server. So the moment that you run the dedicated server, the in-game time is already ticking by if the pause_when_empty is not specified to true. (pause_when_empty is false by default if it is not specified). So you must add pause_when_empty = true to your settings.ini under the [network] tag. If you play alone on your server, then only you will be able to trigger the world clock to continue when you enter the server. That will result with your Playing Days to be the same with the World Day.

Another reason of different Playing Days to the World Days, is if the player spends time in ghost form, then their Playing Days will pause regardless of how long they stay as ghosts. World Time still continues since there is still a player on the server. This is mostly prevalent with endless servers as players aren't forced to be revived, may also happen with survival servers if players die and spend enough time being a ghost.

If something I said confuses you, just let me know. I'll try and clear things up when I can. Cheers.

Thanks Zillvr.  I added that line to my settings under network in the Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld.

Another question.  Do I need to make the settings the same in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves?

@WitchQueenNeo, you can add the pause_when_empty = true setting on any server, new or old. No need to start up a new one. Just be sure you place that line of code under the [network] tag in the settings.ini of both your Overworld and Caves Server Folders.(Adding it to the Caves Server, just so everything is the same on both servers.)

Cheers.

Archived