(Possible Spoiler) Jellyfish

So I've learned that Jellyfish are like super food and have put the net very high on my list when starting a new game because you can catch them and eat them raw for a chunk of hunger and health. Very good while exploring and first starting, but I'm not sure if they respawn or if they just wander in packs. Also not sure how to test this for myself so if anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate it.

they respawn

They have a spawner.

They're only 10 hunger and 10 health, though, so that's a good heal for an non-recipe food, but the hunger isn't great. Cooked ups the hunger to 18.75, which is decent. You can also dry it for the same stats as cooked, but it lasts longer.

I think the problem with jellyfish as a food source is that nets take silk, which is pretty valuable in Shipwrecked. You could also trawl them later on, but that can be a little cumbersome in its own way.

However, it looks like the dumbrella and the snakeskin hat both insulate you, so you can kill jellyfish without retribution with those. So once you acquire a snakeskin hat, they become a pretty good food source.

They have a spawner.

They're only 10 hunger and 10 health, though, so that's a good heal for an non-recipe food, but the hunger isn't great. Cooked ups the hunger to 18.75, which is decent. You can also dry it for the same stats as cooked, but it lasts longer.

I think the problem with jellyfish as a food source is that nets take silk, which is pretty valuable in Shipwrecked. You could also trawl them later on, but that can be a little cumbersome in its own way.

However, it looks like the dumbrella and the snakeskin hat both insulate you, so you can kill jellyfish without retribution with those. So once you acquire a snakeskin hat, they become a pretty good food source.

Plus Abigail can kill them pretty good. Even at day.

I was not aware. I'll have to be more careful in the future. Right now I'm on day 49 as Maxwell and have settled on the border of a jungle and beach and silk hasn't proven a problem used some traps to first get silk now there seems to be plenty as it's a tier 3 den, but the snakes still seem to win the war.

As for the spawner is it something visible like a nest or something or is it merely a location on the map decided by the game? I'm thinking about catching some and trying to make a bunch of spear guns.

Thanks for the advice about insulation you guys. I'll try to work out a way to get jellyfish early on and further look into their usefulness. Right now all I have to go off is they saved my skin a few times in the early days of my last game. Sadly died just before summer.

When I first started, I was using Wigfrid. Her battle helmet seems to work well enough when getting shocked. I didn't notice much of a decrease, if any, while just killing them with my battle spear while wearing the battle helmet.

Archived