Ships in Shipwrecked

Hey guys!

The following will only be a suggestion to an idea I had a while ago. I hope you can discuss about what you are thinking of it and maybe if I’m lucky even a dev will read it.

Original idea:

As it is now the flood-season is hard to overcome by living on the land. So why not just live on the seas because more variation is always good, am I right?

I had the idea of a floating base that can be crafted by the player.

The basic concept is to craft a floating raft that can be linked to other rafts to create some solid ground for your base on the water. On each platform there is place for one structure like the new chiminea or chests or whatever.

But this escape possibility comes to a price because as it is with boats now each platform will slowly decay and has to be repaired with wood every once in a while. This would force you to venture out onto the land and chop some wood. To make this decay visible there should be a few skins for the platforms making them look foul and rotten as they get low on “health points”.

This of course, similar to boats, will only happen if you are on your floating base.

Basic idea:

Now I’ve come a little bit further and think it would be a brilliant idea to craft ships out of those floating bases. By adding sails to the platforms and a steering wheel you could slowly ship around everything you have and live a life as a sea nomad.

And because you are building those platforms, those ships would be completely customizable giving you a motivation for the far endgame to create the perfect ship and of course maintain it with a stable wood supply.

This is the only possibility I can imagine how a grand ship could exist in the 2D world of Don’t Starve.

Advanced ideas:

Since waves would rip apart those rafts rather quickly you could protect them with wave-breakers mounted on the edges of your ship. This enables you to go hunting with a full row of cannons for even bigger enemies or bosses.

Managing big ships would be tedious if you had to repair every platform by yourself. For that a pig/boar house could be built on your ship and the spawning sailor under your command would automatically repair your ship …. given you have enough meat and wood for him.

You can’t simply dock on newly discovered isles because you at least need to moor your floating base to the land. This would force you to still use the small boats to discover far away islands and crafting a beachhead before your main ship arrives.

I guess there are many more good ideas for this topic out there and I would be glad if you add them in this thread. The more popular this gets the more likely it is that Klei will react to it. Only of course if the community likes it.

Personally I think that my idea uses a lot of stuff that is already in the game and shouldn’t be too hard to implement. The only critical things I can imagine are the movement of great ships and how the engine (performance) reacts to large bases in constant motion. I hope those things aren't a big problem for the devs but this is of course pure speculation.

So what do you think about floating-raft-ships on the water?  Would you even want them or do you have better ideas for that?

-Lacost-

I'd like it, but it would have to be pretty damn slow to be balanced.

EDIT: And the steering should be off due to the other rafts moving in the wind.

EDIT2: Fog of war on the map, and the base moving by itself in the wind would be pretty cool. You go to return to it, and it has MOVED. DUN DUN DUN

EDIT3: Waves hitting it could put out your fire on it? And only Chiminea can be used or it would all go up in flames. Also, the amount of items on it should slow it down.

EDIT4: Maybe rather than driving it, it should have a dock attachment where you can put a Rowboat, Armoured Boat or Cargo Boat, and use that to drive round. Although the big ship would move in the wind, and possibly be tugged along by a Cargo Boat with a cloth sail?

Archived