Why cant we craft bottles from sand?

that's way too few unless you had to had to go thru extra steps and use ash as well.

and it would have to be first refined into glass then the glass used to craft a bottle.

3 sand per 1 glass,  5 glass + 3 ash for a bottle. 

this way you could use glass as a crafting material.

1 glass for the telescope ?

Then that almost destroys the purpose of making glass for bottles.

You could get 20 sand earlyish in the game so long as you had a Science Machine, but it'd be tedious and a poor use of your shovel (or, rather, a poor use of your flints). The sensible thing to do with a shovel in the first week is to dig up tree stumps and get extra logs, not dig up every single sand pile you see.

It also wouldn't really be proportionate with most of the recipes in Don't Starve. The only thing I can think of that requires you to gather a vast quantity of an easily obtained item is the Fur Tufts in DST that can be crafted into Thick Fur if you follow the Bearger around and gather 90 of them.

Personally I think bottles should just drop more often, but if they were going to be craftable it'd have to be enough of a pain to make finding the bottles still be helpful yet not so much of a pain that they're not worth crafting. Maybe 12 to 15 sand? I dunno, the only bottle I've found in my current game is the one in the Ring Thing setpiece.

I got like 20 bottles. On what are you using bottles?

Bottle lantern (1), gas mask (2), boat lantern (2), sea trap (2), telescope (1), safety jacket (3).

11 bottles to prototype everything.

The lanterns can be refueled, and the sea trap and telescope are useless. The jacket is a crutch.

I just craft gas masks, and equip them right before taking poison to the face so they last longer.

Archived