Fish morsels not meaty enough for the crockpot?

I put a Fish Morsel (from a crab), a Monster Meat, and two Eggs in my crockpot expecting to get Bacon and Eggs, but I got Meatballs instead.  Are small pieces of seafood even less meaty for recipe purposes than fish from ponds/merms and morsels from small land animals, or are they just not coded in yet?

Probably they're meat for Wigfrid's dietary purposes, since she'd be nigh-unplayable otherwise, but I don't have Reign of Giants so I can't personally confirm that.

Can anyone offer insight on how the new food items perform in crockpot recipes? That was the only time so far that I've tried to make a relatively fussy recipe as opposed to using them as meatball filler to get rid of monster meat.

Fish from fishing (or dropped by Merms) count as meat for crockpot recipes in the base game, though. There wasn't a separate Fish category before, except that you could substitute Eels for Fish in the two recipes requiring a fish. Both ordinary pond fish and eels count as meat.

There's a bunch of hidden formulas to determine what happens when you put various ingredients in a crockpot; one of them is the type of food (meat, in this case), and some of those categories are split into tiers of different value. Pretty much anything that used to be part of an animal is considered meat (Butterfly Wings are the only exception I can think of) but large meat and Monster Meat count for double. This is also why they turn into their own kinds of jerky whereas absolutely everything else becomes Small Jerky. Fish, Morsels, Eels, Frog Legs, and Drumsticks are all treated as the same amount of meat by both the crockpot and the drying rack, although most of them have unique recipes requiring that specific item.

From cooking.lua:

AddIngredientValues(fish_med, {meat=0.5,fish=1})
AddIngredientValues({"limpets", "mussel"}, {meat=0.5,fish=1}, true)
AddIngredientValues({"jellyfish"}, {fish=1,monster=1}, true, true)
AddIngredientValues({"lobster"}, {fish=2}, true)
AddIngredientValues({"crab"}, {meat=0.5,fish=1})
AddIngredientValues({"fish_raw_small"}, {fish=0.5}, true)

Jellyfish, lobster and small fish are not meat for recipe purposes.  (They are given a meat tag in another file so Wigfrid can eat them and bunnymen will attack anyone carrying them, but it's not an ingredient value so it has no effect on crock pot recipes.)

Also, looks like fish can't be hung on a drying rack anymore.  (The two true/false flags at the end signify if something can be cooked at a campfire or hung on a drying rack, respectively.)

Archived