How to access "normal" areas? (IE to get spider silk)

I just want to be sure that I understand- when starting a game in SW, can I somehow get to a "normal" area (just like we go from caves to normal?) at some point? 

I ask because many things (such as spiders) produce components that I will need, and (correct me if I am wrong), they cannot be found in native SW. (or perhaps they do and I simply haven't found them yet..?) 

If I missed some completely super obvious announcement on this, I apologize- please direct me to such info. Thanks!

The Klei guys have said that they plan on intergrating sw into classic don't starve so that there is a way you can transition between them just like in the caves. As of yet I don't know that it is implemented but I could be wrong. I found maxwell's machine so maybe there's a portal or something that takes you to a classic world too.

As for needing resources, as has already been pointed out spiders are in sw. In fact I think you'll find there's at least one method of getting absolutely everything you need. You just have to figure it out.

Happy sailing!

hi all, im at day 27 on SW :D 
there are some spider you can find, usually they are at stone with magma area or at forest area (with apes) but you need to check a few of island for it. Same with reeds and pig (wildboar) they are exist u just havent found it :D good luck

I just want to be sure that I understand- when starting a game in SW, can I somehow get to a "normal" area (just like we go from caves to normal?) at some point?

I've released a mod that allows mid-game travel between the tropics and the normal world. Find it here. (RoG travel is not currently possible though)

I guess the only way to find poop in SW is from apes? Has anyone found reeds (for papyrus) yet?

I once found some buffalos-like creatures (called "Ox") in a mandrove biome, along with manure. I guess they're pretty rare tho. As for reeds, I recall seeing some in the swamps.

Archived