Adding templates files to mods

In commondefs.lua you'll find templates used for items. I'll name a few examples:

• item_template
  • weapon_template
  • melee_template

To create a new item in a mod with any of those templates is easy. Just add to the top of the file:

• local commondefs = include ( "sim/unitdefs/commondefs" )

Now, let's say I want to create my own template my other mod files will use. Is there any way to add the path to this new template without merging the items I create and the template in the same file?

modinit.lua gets access to the variable modApi which is allowed to ask for the scriptpath for the mod, but as far as I am able to see none of the other script files have this luxury.

I don't need it, but it would streamline a lot of what I'm trying to do, and let me split parts of the mod in manageable pieces instead of having a massive file with everything in it.

I tried your suggestion, but couldn't make it work.

Made a file with:

local commondefs = include("sim/unitdefs/commondefs")

commondefs.melee_template2 = util.extend(commondefs.item_template) {}

and in another file:

local commondefs = include("sim/unitdefs/commondefs")

item_tazer = util.extend(commondefs.melee_template2) {}

The melee_template2 works when it's in the same file as item_tazer, but not when I split them. Can you spot my error?

Figured it out. Simply had to include the file in the modinit.lua load function. Thanks for the help! Opens up a lot of doors for me.

Archived