[Help] Making custom armor animations.

Oscuro32

Trying to make custom armor animations but oh I can't really find the source, I wanted to decompile the .zip for the animations with ktool but installing visual tools 14 nearly destroyed my computer so I cant really use that. Anyone know what other ways there are to making armor animations?

Trying to make custom armor animations but oh I can't really find the source, I wanted to decompile the .zip for the animations with ktool but installing visual tools 14 nearly destroyed my computer so I cant really use that. Anyone know what other ways there are to making armor animations?

(just reposting from the last one) 

I think I'm a little confused as to what you mean when you say you want to edit the armor "animation". Do you mean you want to edit the way it looks? Or the way it moves around with your character? I've never really messed with equipment/clothing animations before, but I'm pretty certain that armor and clothing isn't actually "animated", and it's just a still sprite that's attached to the torso sprite of your character

Kinda like weapons don't have their own "swinging" animation. Your hand swings and it just moves the sprite along with it.

Oh no no I already have the armor files but it's not in any usable form by spriter, the first piece of armor is already done but it is only a retexture. I was planning to have a upgrade adding shoulder pads and a more refined look but from what I can tell that really depends on the characters head size and how much it covers the shoulders. However looking how the armor looked on characters I don't really see there is a need for that anymore and I could just add the shoulder pads but It would clip out from the shoulder pads length combining with the other pieces or armor drawn.

The only way to do that is editing the .scml file replacing all the armor art with my art so that it doesn't clip. But if I were to do that I can also edit the animation and so on so its really a plus if you think about it. Or I could just stick with the armor I have now, but that would be tricky finding the right place the armor could have, and it would make less sense for this armor to be efficient then a log suit from how modern it looks and the recipe that it's planned to have

(If I'm wrong about anything do please correct me) 

post-711833-0-80064200-1445891353_thumb.

Oh no no I already have the armor files, the first piece of armor is already done. I was planning to have a upgrade adding shoulder pads and a more refined look but from what I can tell that really depends on the characters head size and how much it covers the shoulders. However looking how the armor looked on characters I don't really see there is a need for that anymore and I could just add the shoulder pads but It would clip out from the shoulder pads length combining with the other pieces or armor drawn.

The only way to do that is editing the .scml file replacing all the armor art with my art so that it doesn't clip. But if I were to do that I can also edit the animation and so on so its really a plus if you think about it. Or I could just stick with the armor I have now, but that would be tricky finding the right place the armor could have, and it would make less sense for this armor to be efficient then a log suit from how modern it looks and the recipe that it's planned to have

(If I'm wrong about anything do please correct me) 

erm, sorry I'm still a little confused as to what you're trying to do with the armor. But you might have a better understanding of how armor works, since I haven't messed around with it much.

Ahh, so you're saying the shoulders would be too big for the atlas. Yea, I don't think there's much you can do about that. at least, nothing easy.

Unless... hmm.. I wonder if it's possible to apply size transformations to just a player's armor? since it's a technically a different sprite.

inst.Transform:SetScale(1,1,1)   is used to re-size an instance (with "1" being the default size multiplier)

If it's possible to apply it to only the armor you could just draw the armor really small in the atlas (giving you more room) and then increase its size in-game to fit the character, at the cost of a slightly lower resolution.

Or another idea! If you're using the extended character template, the torso sprite might give you more room than the game's armor one. You could make an alternate character build where the armor is drawn right onto the torso sprite, which you can swap out for whenever your character is wearing the armor!

It would be a bit complicated to code it in, stretching out the actual armor could cause some quality decreasing effects almost like stretching a image in paint 'but not as bad'. 

It's only a problem because I can't use Ktools, without it I cant de compile the armor_wood.zip into a scml file. With that I can continue like normal, replace all the armor images with mine and it will no longer clip since its not a retexture. And I could add in the animations so its much more natural with the shoulder pads instead of being merged with the default walking animation. The only problem with yours is that I don't know how to access the torso's animation with the walking and idle animation and there is a chance that the armor itself has the animation having a anim.bin file but hey very creative idea! 

It would be a bit complicated to code it in, stretching out the actual armor could cause some quality decreasing effects almost like stretching a image in paint 'but not as bad'. 

It's only a problem because I can't use Ktools, without it I cant de compile the armor_wood.zip into a scml file. With that I can continue like normal, replace all the armor images with mine and it will no longer clip since its not a retexture. And I could add in the animations so its much more natural with the shoulder pads instead of being merged with the default walking animation. The only problem with yours is that I don't know how to access the torso's animation with the walking and idle animation and there is a chance that the armor itself has the animation having a anim.bin file but hey very creative idea! 

I've never tried to install or use Ktools before, but maybe someone who has it would be willing to decompile the armor anim file for you?

I don't know if the torso animation works like that (ie: having a different animation while walking). I'm fairly certain it's just a still image that moves along with your character.

Although I guess with a bit of tricky programming it might be possible to give it it's own special animation while walking.

Wait what do you mean about the torso animation? I just meant the torso sprite. You know, the image file.

Are you using the extended character template? Like in the exported folder, in the character's torso folder, there are a bunch of torso images. I mean you would just edit those to have the armor drawn right onto the torso, and make the "actual armor" invisible.

Well that would ruin the point of having a craftable armor, and he would wear a log suit over his armor which would be very weird if you ask me. I was going to code in that he was very picky with armor, only wearing the custom ones or 'his own'. And if he was already wearing the armor, that perk, the armor, and the up gradable armor would be thrown away for that small cosmetic change. And yeah I might ask around, I don't know who would though but this is the forum to do it

Well that would ruin the point of having a craftable armor, and he would wear a log suit over his armor which would be very weird if you ask me. I was going to code in that he was very picky with armor, only wearing the custom ones or 'his own'. And if he was already wearing the armor, that perk, the armor, and the up gradable armor would be thrown away for that small cosmetic change. And yeah I might ask around, I don't know who would though but this is the forum to do it

No no, I mean you would draw up two different versions of the character (or three or however many armor types you wanted). One just as normal, and another one that's exactly the same but with the armor drawn onto the torso. Like a reskin.

The character would just use the regular non-armored image bank when not wearing the armor, and upon putting the armor on, you would swap out their image bank for the armored version. And then back to the regular version upon taking it off.

I could help you with that part and the picky armor, since my character had some similar concepts,

The armor would still be an equipable "armor" item that takes up the characters chest slot, but it'd be invisible so that the armor skin is visible

I also just pulled up the template torso image to check, and it's VERY wide, so it'd probably be much easier to fit the armor on there!

But that's all just a suggestion.

Archived