Making a custom character! Need assistance to help me go up the ladder with this project.

Oscuro32

That's right I got interested in making a custom character, I looked into it and found so many opportunities that can be had with the character templates. I read up some tutorials and they seem simple as far as the basics but I have a problem. Instead of listing just one for one thread I will list the planned things without revealing the character and maybe you guys can help me out.

-Immediate small tasks that need work on right away.

-Custom character has no sound for his instrument yet the .fev and .fbs are linked. 

-A coder subject and buddy to get me on my way for balancing  issues.

-Proper ways to export and save projects in Fmod designer 'relating to problem one' 

-Small or big tasks that either are not the main focus or planned too much ahead of time. 

-Custom crafting slots, clothing, and items. 

-Throw-able items, and custom items.

-Animations and art, I will try to draw them myself body part after body part and it might get a bit complicated. This will be the last thing I work on for personal reasons involving a new tablet pen.

-Mob passiveness to other creatures  E.G How spiders are passive to webber but pigman are hostile to said poor spider kid.

-A bit more but perhaps I don't want to spoil

-Tasks that don't need help with

-Starting items, character speech editing, base stat editing,

I'm going to try and dedicate a lot of time into this, I had a small deal of basic experience with Lua before so it's not too much of a alien language to me. I plan to try and do most of this by myself but someone to nudge me in the right direction if I ever go wrong would be oh so helpful. I felt like giving out what I had planned to give a basic idea of what I would need help in.

That's right I got interested in making a custom character, I looked into it and found so many opportunities that can be had with the character templates. I read up some tutorials and they seem simple as far as the basics but I have a problem. Instead of listing just one for one thread I will list the planned things without revealing the character and maybe you guys can help me out.

-Immediate small tasks that need work on right away.

-Custom character has no sound for his instrument yet the .fev and .fbs are linked. 

-A coder subject and buddy to get me on my way for balancing  issues.

-Proper ways to export and save projects in Fmod designer 'relating to problem one' 

-Small or big tasks that either are not the main focus or planned too much ahead of time. 

-Custom crafting slots, clothing, and items. 

-Throw-able items, and custom items.

-Animations and art, I will try to draw them myself body part after body part and it might get a bit complicated. This will be the last thing I work on for personal reasons involving a new tablet pen.

-Mob passiveness to other creatures  E.G How spiders are passive to webber but pigman are hostile to said poor spider kid.

-A bit more but perhaps I don't want to spoil

-Tasks that don't need help with

-Starting items, character speech editing, base stat editing,

I'm going to try and dedicate a lot of time into this, I had a small deal of basic experience with Lua before so it's not too much of a alien language to me. I plan to try and do most of this by myself but someone to nudge me in the right direction if I ever go wrong would be oh so helpful. I felt like giving out what I had planned to give a basic idea of what I would need help in.

I couldn't really help you with the first three, besides just saying that for balancing; play the game with him for a while. Do a full game through winter and into the portal and you'll get a feel for what aspects are too easy and what is too hard. That's how I did it, and it worked pretty well.

I'm pretty sure webber's "hostile friendlies and passive monsters" attribute is handled by a single tag you can put in your character's code

inst:AddTag("monster")

I THINK

custom sounds are suprisingly complicated to create, and the sound tutorials can be a bit confusing, but I think I have some bookmarked I can link you to

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/27247-new-asset-tools-animations-textures-sounds-and-layouts/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/50610-adding-custom-sounds-to-my-character/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/27803-tutorial-adding-custom-sound-to-your-custom-character/

I don't remember which one is the most up to date though.

To be perfectly honest I would NOT recommend trying to re-create an entire character's animations. It's a TON of work, and there are other things involved that I think are not possible with spriter, such as setting head/body armor positions and weapon holding hands

throwable items you could probably just spawn a projectile and play the boomerang's "throw" animation at the same time, which I can get into more detail later

A bit late on that one, production through the mod has gone well! I was so distracted that I didn't see your post for awhile so let me talk about my current issues. So right now as it stands the sound issues were fixed long before you posted, in fact it was only a simple trace back that caused it all. That tag you posted only works for spiders and pigman not frogs and merms so that will be a bit more tricky. 

Far as the first free problems? Not a problem anymore, but the balancing still stands as a eyebrow raiser to me. Right now with his explosive traps it can be quite powerful as a one time use panic mine room. The explosion even has radius which sets off nearby explosive traps making it all the more deadly but more expensive then the tooth trap in the long term at least planned out.

Now as far as the throwable explosives It needs a bit of tweaking but tends to be reliable 

So that leaves three more things! But the one that seems to trouble me is armor, can someone redirect me to a tutorial that helps me with armor animations?

I will leave you with a picture showing what I have so far once I finish up re sizing the icons. 

A bit late on that one, production through the mod has gone well! I was so distracted that I didn't see your post for awhile so let me talk about my current issues. So right now as it stands the sound issues were fixed long before you posted, in fact it was only a simple trace back that caused it all. That tag you posted only works for spiders and pigman not frogs and merms so that will be a bit more tricky. 

Far as the first free problems? Not a problem anymore, but the balancing still stands as a eyebrow raiser to me. Right now with his explosive traps it can be quite powerful as a one time use panic mine room. The explosion even has radius which sets off nearby explosive traps making it all the more deadly but more expensive then the tooth trap in the long term at least planned out.

Now as far as the throwable explosives It needs a bit of tweaking but tends to be reliable 

So that leaves three more things! But the one that seems to trouble me is armor, can someone redirect me to a tutorial that helps me with armor animations?

I will leave you with a picture showing what I have so far once I finish up re sizing the icons. 

Oh yea, I think the posts in the Kleislist area are seen lest often than the posts in the regular area, (I don't check here as often myself, most people are probably better off posting in the main mods/tools area, since that's what most people do anyways)

Did you want the mines to not set each other off, or is that intended?

I can look more into the creature hostility thing later but I'm assuming you already checked out Webber's lua file to see if there was anything useful in his code? (unless you don't have RoG)

I don't know of any tutorials for armor though.

Really? Well I might make one in a more proper area regarding the most current problem, for now I can worry less about the coding and creature hostility for webbers code did help me out with it all. My main problem is the armor animations, I need to edit the armors animation. I tried to decompile the actual file using Ktools but installing Visual studio nearly destroyed my computer in a number of ways so I will have to result in another method 

Really? Well I might make one in a more proper area regarding the most current problem, for now I can worry less about the coding and creature hostility for webbers code did help me out with it all. My main problem is the armor animations, I need to edit the armors animation. I tried to decompile the actual file using Ktools but installing Visual studio nearly destroyed my computer in a number of ways so I will have to result in another method 

I think I'm a little confused as to what you mean when you say you want to edit the armor animation. Do you mean you want to edit the way it looks? Or the way it moves with your character? I've never really messed with equipment/clothing animations before, but I'm pretty certain that armor and clothing isn't actually "animated", and it's just a still sprite that's attached to the torso of your character

Kinda like weapons don't have their own "swinging" animation. Your hand swings and it just moves the sprite along with it.

If you're saying you just want to edit the skin of the armor, I'm pretty sure there are much easier ways to do that. by just opening the atlas of one of the other armors and drawing over it in a fashion similar to the way you draw over the character template, except it's all on one big sheet instead of a bunch of smaller ones. But you'd have to re-compile it yourself, and I can get more into that if you need me to

Hey this is kinda late and you might not need this anymore but inst:AddTag("monster') just defines your character as a monster. If you want spiders to be friendly i think it's

inst:AddTag("spiderwhisperer")

It's in the same section of code as inst:AddTag("monster") in Webbers lua so if i'm wrong you can check there. I think maybe it works with other monsters as well but I havent tried/had use for it as of yet.

Archived