Telltale heart damage reduction?

(this is really my first time using a forum for help, but we're at the point where neither of us know how to code well enough to implement something like this)

does anyone know if there's a possible way to reduce the amount of damage from crafting a telltale for a mod character?

if so, it would be really appreciated if you helped us with the code, thanks!

I know it's possible in a clean way and can be done through modmain essentially by modifying the part of the function that deals the damage.

I'd add a custom tag to the custom character and alter the telltale heart function to check if there is a tag and then do less damage, else normal damage.

The health deducted from crafting a Telltale Heart is shown (and set) in the recipe. This is done using a pretty cool system for using player stats as crafting ingredients, that is only found in DST. Find the recipe for the Telltale Heart, and figure out a way to overwrite the recipe to have a different value for health cost.

(This is from memory, I don't have time to fetch the examples or further explore the solution)

@Commodore, Try putting it first in YourCharacter.lua and see if it works, then if it doesn't, go for modmain.lua. Those are the only 2 lua you need to edit anyways. 

I feel as though if you put it in modmain, it might conflict with other mods. DarkXero will answer that because I don't know haha.

where to put this (as i said before, we're both really new to coding stuff, sorry!)

You can either put

GLOBAL.AllRecipes["reviver"].character_ingredients[1].amount = 10

in modmain.lua (AllRecipes is in the GLOBAL environment).

Or put

AllRecipes["reviver"].character_ingredients[1].amount = 10

in your mod character's prefab file.

As long as it loads, it edits the value.

However, now that I read this properly, you want to edit the health value only for the mod character, correct?

You want it to be 10 for your character, and 40 for, say, Wilson.

ok so, with Valkyrie19k's method, i got these errors with each one

this one in modmain

fNGvTgq.png

and this one in the character lua

g7Fx0BA.jpg

we tried with DarkXeros suggestions too, but pretty much the same errors popped up upon loading worlds.

yes, we'd like it to be specifically for the mod character, sorry if this is too much trouble ! ;;

@Commodore, alright, copy accordingly:

local MakePlayerCharacter = require("prefabs/player_common")local assets = {	Asset("ANIM", "anim/wilson.zip"),	Asset("ANIM", "anim/ghost_wilson_build.zip"),}local prefabs = {}-- You need this functionlocal function removeReviver(inst)	local _learn = inst.replica.builder.CanLearn	inst.replica.builder.CanLearn = function(self, recipename)		if recipename == "reviver" then			return false		end		return _learn(self, recipename)	endendlocal function common_postinit(inst)-- And this tag	inst:AddTag("easyreviver")-- And this function	inst:DoTaskInTime(0.314, removeReviver)endlocal function master_postinit(inst)end-- And all these definitionsRecipe("commodorereviver", {Ingredient("cutgrass", 3), Ingredient("spidergland", 1), Ingredient(CHARACTER_INGREDIENT.HEALTH, 10)},RECIPETABS.SURVIVAL, TECH.NONE, nil, nil, nil, nil, "easyreviver", "images/inventoryimages.xml", "reviver.tex")AllRecipes["commodorereviver"].sortkey = AllRecipes["reviver"].sortkeySTRINGS.NAMES.COMMODOREREVIVER = STRINGS.NAMES.REVIVERSTRINGS.CHARACTERS.GENERIC.DESCRIBE.COMMODOREREVIVER = STRINGS.CHARACTERS.GENERIC.DESCRIBE.REVIVERSTRINGS.RECIPE_DESC.COMMODOREREVIVER = STRINGS.RECIPE_DESC.REVIVERreturn MakePlayerCharacter("wilson", prefabs, assets, common_postinit, master_postinit)

In modmain, add "commodorereviver" to your PrefabFiles (don't copy and paste another PrefabFiles, ADD OTHER ITEM TO YOUR LIST):

PrefabFiles = {	"commodorereviver",}

Create a prefab and put it in scripts/prefabs, next to your character.

commodorereviver.lua:

local function fn()	local inst = SpawnPrefab("reviver")	return instendreturn Prefab("common/commodorereviver", fn)