Will this infringe ToS?

I want to add water baloons to the SP game as a mod to make it combo with Morning Star, but since it's part of Multiplayer I'm not sure whether or not I will be infrining copyright or something.

If it is allowed, is there a limit to the number of things that can be made into mods? I've had on my mind ewuce and lavae pet.

I doubt it will infringe. The unimplemented characters belong to Klei but that never stopped anyone.

But that's not the same. They weren't implemented and aren't part of DLC or anything that is monetized. Water Baloon are part of the new game that is monetized. For the same reason I'm 100% sure they forbit adding Giants to a mod for the vanilla game.

It's just I wouldn't see water baloons being the actual part of the DST experience, it's so minor it doesn't really affect the gameplay. I would want to know where is the limit.

For the same reason I'm 100% sure they forbit adding Giants to a mod for the vanilla game.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if crossing two different segments of different/separated games made by the same company would technically be considered breaking the terms of service for snapping the royalties (the same way pirating does). Rules honestly depend from company to company, but as far as Klei goes, modding is not rejected for about most of the things that a mod could contain.

A while a go a mod that contained reign-of-giants exclusive content was uploaded on the Steam Workshop; it added Wigfrid and Webber into the vanilla game, as at the times RoG wasn't implemented into multiplayer. As far as I know, no developer decided to take an action over the matter like taking it down for copyright infrigement or the likes, and surely no one ever commented bad about it.

That's mostly because Klei really wants a big modding community that can support itself; at the end of the day, production for Don't Starve will eventually meet its end. And the only way to keep the core alive is to expand on the content yourself, and here intervenes modding. Its purpose is to make the game more pleasant for oneself, as well. That being said, if a mod project would be uploaded and it'd broke the PG13 standards, I can see it being deleted.

I'm not saying Klei can't impose regulations on how far you can mod things and what's the limit to the concepts you can use, but they don't necessarily want to. Klei devs are really tolerant and sociable with their community, that's why I love 'em.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if crossing two different segments of different/separated games made by the same company would technically be considered breaking the terms of service for snapping the royalties (the same way pirating does).

Well, the RoG Giants are pretty much the theme of the dlc. If they were to be added into a free mod, some people might take that alternative to buying the dlc.

I guess I'll just go on and make the baloon for now, hoping for a dev to reply to clear up the things.

I guess I'll just go on and make the baloon for now, hoping for a dev to reply to clear up the things.

I strongly agree. It will be great if klei decide to have clear and simple rules about copyright and mod. (not obscur legal notice)

First, if i do a mod for don't starve together, what about ownership, what about licence of these mod ?

I imagine, you can't sell a don't starve mod, but how to know what we really can or can't ?

Most of game today that accept mod doesn't have clear policy about these, and i think, that's  a really bad thing because mod creator are in a dangerous "grey zone" .

PersonnalIy, i think it's unfair to benefit of modders without giving them a way to be legally safe.

PS : i hope that my english is understandable.

I strongly agree. It will be great if klei decide to have clear and simple rules about copyright and mod. (not obscur legal notice)

First, if i do a mod for don't starve together, what about ownership, what about licence of these mod ?

I imagine, you can't sell a don't starve mod, but how to know what we really can or can't ?

Most of game today that accept mod doesn't have clear policy about these, and i think, that's  a really bad thing because mod creator are in a dangerous "grey zone" .

PersonnalIy, i think it's unfair to benefit of modders without giving them a way to be legally safe.

PS : i hope that my english is understandable.

It's not about selling the mod, it's about cutting profits. Of course water balloons are far from doing that, but people underestimate the power of copyright.

Archived