Need help adding a dash when attacking to custom weapon

I'm new to modding and I am working on making a weapon that allows the owner to dash while using it but I have no idea on how to do it or where to start.  I have some ideas on what could make a pseudo-dash such as increasing the movementspeed of the character to a really high amount when the character is higher than X feet away.

If making a dash would not work, then I am open to having it teleport the user.  I would like these to be when the person clicks to attack something and not targetable on the ground (to avoid spamming dashes/teleports to increase mobility). 

I have searched the forums and I have had no luck looking for what I'm trying to make. 

Thank you in advance for any help people give :)

For starters, you need a function that fires when the weapon is used

local Dash = function(inst, wilson, target)

--all following code, if not told otherwise, should go here

end

--[...]

local fn = function() --you already have this line

--[...]

inst:AddComponent("weapon") --you already have this (I hope)

inst.components.weapon.onattack = Dash

Teleporting is easier. Here's my absolutely untested concept. It uses a while loop too, which tend to freeze the game:

local pos = wilson:GetPosition() --get current position

local pos2 = target:GetPosition() --get target position

local differ = pos - pos2 --the differences in coordinates

--now, you need to calculate how forward you want the player to get tp'd

local newpos = pos + (differ * 2) --twice the distance

local repeat = true

while repeat do

if GetGroundTypeAtPosition(newpos) ~= GROUND.IMPASSABLE then --valid ground! yay

repeat = false --you can stop now

break --don't continue to the next bit either

end

newpos = newpos - (differ / 10) --get closer to the target (eventually one would end up near the current position)

end

wilson.Transform:SetPosition(newpos.x,pos.y,newpos.z) --tp there (y is height, usually 0, and doesn't matter at all)

Archived