Build a starting-team around (On file) Shalem!

Hi,

so i've decided to make a new topic about the guy with the classiest suit. I know, there are many topics about how bad and underpowered Shalem is - but please don't mistake this one as one of them. (I myself find Shalem to be quite underrated, but like i just said, this shall not be the place to discuss how oh so awful he is)

I still have some problems building a team around him, as he doesn't really have much synergies to other characters. He is zero involved in hacking or power generation, and neither does he bring much utility. His salvaged neural disrupter also makes you play very slow and carefully for the first few levels - but when you suddenly need a certain annoyance disposed of in a more long term way (and this particular annoyance even happens to wear some armor), you know why you picked him :-)

At first I thought Tony would go well with him, as he is very strong on his own and can disable the heart monitors of unfriendly people. But then I thought, Shalem is actually NOT about shooting around, but more like having a last resort tool and a strategic tool against null drones and stuff like that. Guards-Shalem-Must-Deal-With-Shalem-Style often come in a situation where Tony couldn't even reach them.

Internationale seems to work decently, as she is quite strong on her own as well, and manages the hacking and power generation.

For programs, I mostly tend to use oldschool fusion and lockpick or even parasite. Shalem does not contribute to power generation, so I tend to use a more old fashioned yet solid approach.

But enough of TheoryInc, i'd like to hear some suggestions from you, on who's a good starting partner (and suitable incognita programs) for Shalem. :-) Feel free to use archive and on file loadouts!

I think he plays best if you were to embrace his lethal attributes.  I might pair him with another person who can kill easily and frequently (Nika?).  Then have them dispatch everyone they encounter and clear out the level.  That would be one way to do it anyway.  Would recommend outfitting them with the Anatomy Analysis so they don't advance the alarm level.

Anatomy Analysis costs power each time though.  So, I would also suggest you have good programs and/or agents that help with power/hacking.  This setup would probably make things difficult for awhile in the early game, but as things progressed, they may actually become a good setup.  This is all pure speculation though.

OnFile Nika is a nice choice if you start with Shalem. Her volt disruptor can take care of early guards until you can find a better disruptor for Shalem. On a emergency, Nika can take the Desert Wind and kill 2 guards.

Archive Decker is nice too. Shalem trade his gun with Decker and both agents can take care of armored threats.

Anatomy Analysis with Shalem is awesome. Net Downlink and Chameleon Movement is nice for extra movement (all my agents roll with those two arguments). Beware if you get an Anatomy Analysis and find a flury gum. 7 PWR is expansive for a single kill.

Shalem 11 + On-File Banks works really well, in my opinion. Having Banks to be able to open more doors to allow for more avenues of attack is useful, and when you pump up Anarchy to level 5 you start getting Charge Packs to the pickpocket list. A Shalem well stocked with Charged Packs can deal with almost any guard.

And incidentally, Shalem 11 with at least one Piercing Scanner and his rifle lets him kill every guard in the Final Mission. Who doesn't like just throwing caution to the wind and murdering all opposition to make the last level STRIKINGLY easier.

Archived