Hounds Attacking too early?

Haha wow I didn't think to use the spider queen or her little rugrats to help get rid of the masses, and funny you mention her, there are two not too far from my own campsite X3. I was too creeped out by her when she was introduced to the map, but now you mention it, its a great way to not only takeout some hounds and watch the action too as you mentioned, and hopefully when its all said and done I won't be outnumbered as badly. They do however seem to get more numerous as each few day pass (Got attacked at night, tried to take some out to keep the others distracted by monster meat, but too many arrived, at least 20, thank the creators for meat effigies!) Is it because of the day being now in the 100's or maybe because of the naughty or nice update? I personally have not seen Krampus lurking about from the hunting I've done, however I've heard the noises made when he could be around and I always wondered perhaps if I hunted too much that more hounds would appear in each group?

I'm too terrified to experiment. The darn hounds always call me off-guard and I always end up dying. I can't carry the bagpack and wear armor at the same time which is pretty lame and rather inconvenient.

I'm too terrified to experiment. The darn hounds always call me off-guard and I always end up dying. I can't carry the bagpack and wear armor at the same time which is pretty lame and rather inconvenient.

Heres what I do:

Whenever I hear hounds sounding, I stop what I'm doing, drop my backpack and instantly grab my log suit. As Soon as they come after me, I literally run toward the spider nests because some of the hounds in the pack to get distracted by them or monster meat, risky suggestion, try and kill one or two hounds with a spear and takeoff, more hounds will be distracted giving you a bit more time to run. The log suit, is a GREAT defense, and if you have the time, grab a futball helmet and a tentacle spike if one is laying around from other mob battles; with those three equipped, you last WAAAAAAY longer than before.