[General] - Same Game, Different Worlds

r3t4rd

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: Same Game, Different Worlds

Issue Description: When I would join my friends server I would find patches of ground to be the water biome, but trees, grass etc. would be in the water as though it were ground. Some landscapes would be grassland for me but forest for her. The same would occur when she would join my server. Its as though we were in two separate servers but we could see and interact with everything together, but our landscapes would not match with each others.

Steps to Reproduce: We would just make a server in DST and the problem would occur, no mods, no alterations just DST we dont know what is causing the problem

form-421679-0-79821200-1432871348_thumb.
form-421679-0-87630900-1432871352_thumb.

Above are the screenshots of both my perspective in game and hers during the same game. As you can see the two worlds are very different, but we could interact with it together.

Same exact thing just happened to my game. I was unable to leave the water, but she could walk in and out just fine and said it looked like I was on land in her screen. Happened when I joined her server. Logged out and logged back in to find same issue. Haven't started a new server yet, but hoping that will solve it. Will update if not.

post-654234-0-82548600-1432949990_thumb.

(Forgive the extended desktop, but this should be map view and game view.)

I should've mentioned that too. I couldn't get out of the water, I even tried burning myself so I could become a ghost and float out, but no luck. Im both glad and sad that me and my friend are not the only ones having this problem, hope this gets enough attention and can be fixed soon I reeeeeally wanna get back to not starving alone.

Just tried playing again today. It's different now in that I don't see the water (though the map shows water). Instead it's all just black. Really hoping that this gets fixed soon because the game is completely unplayable.

Here's the image (again with the split screen to show map and gameplay)

post-654234-0-42566900-1433106203_thumb.

ALSO Fixed (though I wish there were another method):

As noted by another user with a similar problem, I realized I did the same thing leading up to these issues. In an effort to unclutter my computer/"My Documents" I set almost all of the 25-30 different games folders to "Hidden" so it would look nicer. I tested it out first with Don't Starve to make sure that I still had access to and could play my old saved games despite the hidden folder. Since it worked, I thought everything would be fine. Turns out that's the problem for the world issues we have in Don't Starve Together. As soon as I unhid the Klei folder, this problem went away.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to move the auto-save folder from My Documents to elsewhere for Don't Starve/Together to fix my clutter issue, but those are generally written into the game code so you can't. Anybody know?

• Developer

@Peanut7316, you can redirect your save folder using -persistent_storage_root and -conf_dir launch options.

There is detailed information on how to use these options in this guide:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/Don%E2%80%99t_Starve_Together_Dedicated_Servers

Note that it WILL work for the game client and not just dedicated servers.

Archived