[Scripting] Talker

Hey yall, me again. I swear the amount of times I ask for help is very minute in comparison to all the things i've figured out by sweat xD

Anyways, so i've gotten this code to work when equipping my weapon. So I know it works.

inst:AddComponent("talker")

inst.components.talker:Say("At last! My arm is complete again!")
inst.components.talker.fontsize = 28 
inst.components.talker.font = TALKINGFONT
inst.components.talker.colour = Vector3(10, 0, 0, 0)
inst.components.talker.offset = Vector3(0,0,100)
inst.components.talker.symbol = "swap_object"

My character "transforms" when his sanity is <30. This works, but when he does to the <30 anim I wan't him to say something.

I've used this

local function becomebody(inst)

inst.components.hunger:SetRate(TUNING.WILSON_HUNGER_RATE * .7)
inst.components.combat:SetAttackPeriod(TUNING.WILSON_ATTACK_PERIOD * 1.5)
inst.components.locomotor.walkspeed = (TUNING.WILSON_WALK_SPEED * 1.85 )
inst.components.locomotor.runspeed = (TUNING.WILSON_RUN_SPEED * 1.85 )
inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 4
inst.AnimState:SetBuild("sweeneytodd2")

inst.components.talker:Say("Who's up for a free shave?!")

end

And this

if inst.components.sanity.current < 30 then

becomebody(inst)

inst.components.talker:Say("Who's up for a free shave?!")

inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")

Now, these both work.... but as you would expect from a talker set like this, the entire time i'm below 30 sanity it's talking and twitching around.... now this is a cool effect and all... but i'm trying to figure out how to make it say this only when it first transforms.

I realize I didn't put all the coding up here, but this should be enough to show you what I was doing.

I appreciate yalls help,

Vince

... but i'm trying to figure out how to make it say this only when it first transforms.

well, thats why u shouldn't actually call becomebody all the time, just call it when he drops below 30 sanity. save his last sanity into a variable(eg inst.lastsanity) and then check if the current one is below 30 while the last one was above 30 and THEN call becomebody.

also, the whole thing looks a bit strange, u are adding the component in several spots and if what u say is correct, u also keep adding the component all the time?

can u attach the whole prefab, so we can have a look?

well, thats why u shouldn't actually call becomebody all the time, just call it when he drops below 30 sanity. save his last sanity into a variable(eg inst.lastsanity) and then check if the current one is below 30 while the last one was above 30 and THEN call becomebody.

also, the whole thing looks a bit strange, u are adding the component in several spots and if what u say is correct, u also keep adding the component all the time?

can u attach the whole prefab, so we can have a look?

It looks that way because I was showing you two places I had put the component in, that gave the same results both times.

I'm gonna try and figure out how to do what you told me, I'm pretty sure I have an example lying around that I could decipher.

Thanks,

Vince

@chupicabra,

well, first u should add components only once when creating the prefab, same for the settings like color and stuff(unless u have a specific reason to do otherwise).

second, u shouldnt add the talkercomponent at all, since characters have it by default.

third, just attach the prefab-file of your character(assuming this code is in your prefab) already.

@chupicabra The problem lies here.

local function sanitychange(inst, data)	if inst.components.sanity.current < 30 then		becomebody(inst)		inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")	else		becomehed(inst)		inst.SoundEmitter:KillSound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")	end end

You're not checking if the character already transformed, and calling the transformation again and again whenever sanity is changed.

Set a variable outside of the function to keep track of it.

local isBody = falselocal function sanitychange(inst, data)	if inst.components.sanity.current < 30 then		if not isBody then			becomebody(inst)			inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")			isBody = true		end	else		if isBody then			becomehed(inst)			inst.SoundEmitter:KillSound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")			isBody = false		end	endend

@chupicabra The problem lies here.

local function sanitychange(inst, data)	if inst.components.sanity.current < 30 then		becomebody(inst)		inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")	else		becomehed(inst)		inst.SoundEmitter:KillSound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")	end end

You're not checking if the character already transformed, and calling the transformation again and again whenever sanity is changed.

Set a variable outside of the function to keep track of it.

local isBody = falselocal function sanitychange(inst, data)	if inst.components.sanity.current < 30 then		if not isBody then			becomebody(inst)			inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")			isBody = true		end	else		if isBody then			becomehed(inst)			inst.SoundEmitter:KillSound("dontstarve/music/gramaphone_creepyforest")			isBody = false		end	endend

Thanks mate! I was trying to script something out similarly, but I was missing the "if isbody"  part.... I just started a few days ago so I appreciate your help!

Archived