Revamp character unlock system

so i read somewhere that Kevin plans on eventually making some changes to the character unlock system, mainly in regards to the fact that you have to die just to unlock the new characters. i think the entire system should be changed to make it more exciting:

make character unlocks a choice, with all characters available to unlock and all their pros/cons listed on the unlock page, but each one costing a different amount of points that are awarded at a 1:1 rate of overall days survived. so if across all your maps you've got 250 days survived, you could perhaps spend 200 on wolfgang, or 50 on willow.

adding the element of choice to this would make unlocks more fun, since currently a player might not like the benefits of a character (coughwendycough) but will be "forced" to unlock them in order to reach a more appealing one.

adding the element of choice to this would make unlocks more fun, since currently a player might not like the benefits of a character (coughwendycough) but will be "forced" to unlock them in order to reach a more appealing one.

Well thats the point right? I mean making it a choice seems unfair when you look at the grind necessary already to attain the more "appealing" ones. Unless of course you supplement more appealing characters with higher point grinds necessary. In that case it makes total sense, I just think that the way it's set up is also just as appealing. For a new player who buys the game when its a full release then yes I can see the choice option being more favorable. Gives them something to work toward and that anticipation when they finally get the character they want.

However for people who have played this game during pre-release I think it will create the opposite. Get the character you like, call it a day, instead of experimenting and etc. I actually prefer Wendy, you just have to know not to walk into her twin sister Abigail ;) So for me, the game would be fully released, I'd reset my userdata, grind the let's say 100 points towards Wendy, and then never buy another character again. The element of surprise and excitement is gone.

To a player that likes to plan their adventure, I'd say its a great idea. To a player that likes to discover things and be surprised, I would say its not. Just my thoughts though =)