How to save world?

im curious how the saving of the world works. i was on day 20 something and i logged off to get something to drink. my friend was still on and dieing of hunger so he logged off. when i went to log back on the server it was a fresh day 1 server. I don't understand why this happened. Can anyone explain how the dedicated persistence server works please? and or do i need something none default in the server's config file? I am running it on a ubuntu server 14.04.2 and I followed the wiki page for setting it up.

@ubuntuaddicted, Was it Survival? If it's possible that someone else came on and died, that would reset the world.

There might also be permissions issues with saving the world. You should be able to test that with a much smaller time interval if so.

Edit: And for anyone else looking for how to save, use

c_shutdown()

remotely or in the dedicated server's console to shut it down while saving. MarkL has said he might make that automatic if you click the [X] in the future (I personally think that would be a good idea, generally people do want to save when they exit out).

Archived