Difficult time finding where map visibility data is

seronis

I've looked in the mapscreen and the map widget.  I've looked through gamelogic.lua for where things can possibly get saved.  Im completely at a loss as to where the data structure is that stores what portion of the map you can see or not.

Id like to make mods where a character like Wulfe can talk to her hound followers to learn the lay of the land.  Or maybe in DST have a player be able to make a map object with their current knowledge, and any other player reading the map would have their copy of the minimap expanded to see those areas on it.

But no clue where this info is.   Anyone know or is it actually a part of the game that is only available in the compiled code?

If it _IS_ in the compiled code could it please be opened up to LUA ?

That..  basically ruins at least 4 or 5 mod ideas then.  Going to go read that thread you linked now.

-edit-

Yeah thanks for the links. That covers a couple things I was considering but id still have liked to be able to have map objects work too.  Kinda like in Civilization when a tribal hut reveals part of the map to you.  Oh well

Well I only noticed that the linux client for DST was available a couple days ago and today was first day I joined a server with acceptable ping rates and didnt get banned in 3 seconds because the owner forgot to make their server 'not public'

Realized sharing maps would be fun.  Then remembered I've had ideas on my TODO list about having followers reveal map features.  Then remembered I wanted some randomly found map objects to be able to reveal sections of the map. Then thought having some story based hooks that reveal a distant island generated could be fun for custom adventure mode stuff..  then....  looked at code.

And now I will go drink a Margarita and cry because none of it is possible.

That..  basically ruins at least 4 or 5 mod ideas then.  Going to go read that thread you linked now.

-edit-

Yeah thanks for the links. That covers a couple things I was considering but id still have liked to be able to have map objects work too.  Kinda like in Civilization when a tribal hut reveals part of the map to you.  Oh well

revealing a map portion is possible like this:

GetWorld().minimap.MiniMap:ShowArea(x,y,z,radius)

GetWorld().minimap.MiniMap:Save() --can't recall anymore if that is actually how to save the edit

making a playerproxy component for your prefab should allow you to fire the map reveal when the player discovers it.

Archived