Dedicated server help?

I wish to make my world into a dedicated server, have a great pc able to handle any number of people...

soo... who wants to walk my dumb a** through the set up, so that I can run it with mods? I tried doing it myself, but it won't allow me to connect,nor does it show my mods as being activated.

EDIT:I have Windows.

Hi,

server windows? linux?

If you successfully start your server

what say the log of your server?

thank you to provide maximum accuracy

Windows is my OS, and I got the server to show up in the list, but it shows as having no mods, and when I try to join, it disallows me.

Where might I get a log of it in that case?

Assuming you're using the default location for your first server, you should find log.txt in this location:

documents/klei/donotstarvetogether/

When you try to join your dedicated server, what, if any,error messages do you receive?  Do you see any useful information in the console window on the dedicated server machine?

Mods are installed using dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua.  This will download and install your chosen mods.  This file should be placed in your main mods directory.  For Windows:

steam/steamapps/common/don't starve together dedicated server/mods

After that, you can enable or disable (by not enabling) mods, for each individual server, using modoverrides.lua.  This file should be placed in the your server's configuration directory.  Using the location mentioned earlier, it would be:

documents/klei/donotstarvetogether/

Syntax for configuration of dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modoverrides.lua can be found at the Don't Starve Wiki:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don%E2%80%99t_Starve_Together_Dedicated_Servers#Mods

Not a problem.  Take it piece by piece and let us know what you need assistance with.

Okay.. looking at the places given above, I seem to be missing the modoverrides.lua from the main directory. It is also not in the mod directory.

Okay.. looking at the places given above, I seem to be missing the modoverrides.lua from the main directory. It is also not in the mod directory.

Ah, I didn't clarify that part.  Modoverrides.lua is not created by default for each server instance's folder.  The file must be created manually (Klei is working on an automated process).  Create a new text file, save as modoverrides.lua, make your changes in the file as needed.

Regarding the connection problem, let's clarify a few things I'm not sure on:

1. Is the server machine and the client machine the same computer?, or are these 2 separate computers?
  2. You can see your server in the server list, but attempts to connect result in "try yelling louder?".
  3. Have you forwarded the necessary port in your router, to allow incoming connections to your server?  The default port is UDP 10999.

Ah, I didn't clarify that part.  Modoverrides.lua is not created by default for each server instance's folder.  The file must be created manually (Klei is working on an automated process).  Create a new text file, save as modoverrides.lua, make your changes in the file as needed.

Regarding the connection problem, let's clarify a few things I'm not sure on:

1. Is the server machine and the client machine the same computer?, or are these 2 separate computers?
  2. You can see your server in the server list, but attempts to connect result in "try yelling louder?".
  3. Have you forwarded the necessary port in your router, to allow incoming connections to your server?  The default port is UDP 10999.

what should I put inside the modoverrides.lua?

1. Same

2. yup. Fails to connect and tells me to "yell louder"

3. I put the port under TCP/UDP. If it HAS to be UPD, then no. I will try adding a second one with just that port.

EDIT: tried UDP only, still no connect.

1. A simple example of modoverrides.lua would go like this:

return {    ["workshop-360319890"] = {enabled = true},    ["workshop-385006082"] = {enabled = true},    ["workshop-373991022"] = {enabled = true},    ["workshop-369588618"] = {enabled = true}}

This enables 4 mods for my server.  The mods were installed using dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua.  You can find the workshop IDs of the mods in the main mods folder:

steam/steamapps/common/don't starve together dedicated server/mods

2. Ah.  There have been some problems using host/client in one computer.  We have found some fixes, and there is a built-in solution that may help you.  While playing DST as the client, in the filters section of the server listing, scroll to the bottom.  There is a LAN option.  Enabling this filter option should find all DST servers being hosted in your local network, including your own PC.

3. UDP or TCP/UDP will suffice.

Archived