Don't Starve dedicated Server map and inventory

Hi Klei team, 

I recently created a dedicated server for don't starve thanks to your guide. Everything run smooth except that I lose my map progress when i disconnect from server. 

If i close the server I loose all my inventory items along with the map exploration when i come back.

I have no idea on what's going on, so please I would love if somebody could help me out in this one.

Pd:  It only happens to me as I I'm the host. My friend told they are fine.

Thank you in advance

@WolfpackProGaming, It might help to know a few more details on your setup. Are you using another configuration directory (conf_dir command)? Are you joining from the same computer that you're hosting on? Did you change the port for the dedicated server, or is it using the default 10999?

If you're not doing either of those things, it's possible (although maybe not that likely) that doing them will fix your problem (which is obviously related to saving/loading data from the config directory).

@WolfpackProGaming, It might help to know a few more details on your setup. Are you using another configuration directory (conf_dir command)? Are you joining from the same computer that you're hosting on? Did you change the port for the dedicated server, or is it using the default 10999?

If you're not doing either of those things, it's possible (although maybe not that likely) that doing them will fix your problem (which is obviously related to saving/loading data from the config directory).

Hi Rezecib, I have no idea about configuration directory (conf_dir command).

I'm actually joining from the same computer that im hosting on.

And i'm using the default port 10999.

This are my settings:

[sTEAM]

DISABLECLOUD = true

[MISC]

CONSOLE_ENABLED = true

netbook_mode = false

vibration = false

showpassword = false

autosubscribemods = true

[graphics]

fullscreen_width = 1920

fullscreen_height = 1080

display_id = 0

refresh_rate = 60

fullscreen = true

use_small_textures = false

screenshake = true

bloom = true

distortion = true

HUDSize = 5

window_x = 0

window_y = 23

windowed_width = 1916

windowed_height = 1017

[audio]

volume_ambient = 8

volume_sfx = 8

volume_music = 8

[account]

token = XXXXX

[network]

default_server_name = Wolfpack Pro Gaming (Youtube)

default_server_description = Bienvenidos a la locura!!!

max_players = 20

enable_snapshots = true

server_port = 10999

server_password =

pvp = false

game_mode = wilderness

enable_autosaver = true

tick_rate = 60

connection_timeout = 8000

server_save_slot = 5

enable_vote_kick = true

pause_when_empty = true

I managed to set up the server, but I'm not a expert when it comes to this kind of stuff xdd.

I appreciate your help

@WolfpackProGaming, Ah, okay. There are a lot of known issues associated with joining from the same computer without using conf_dir and a different port. The wiki page on dedicated servers goes over how to use conf_dir, but basically what I did for it was copied my existing Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether folder to DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated, then set the launch options for the dedicated server to "-conf_dir DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated". I'd also recommend setting a different port (I used 10998), but you will have to forward it on your router. Without using the different port though, I'm surprised you were able to connect to your server at all :razz:

Some people also found that they couldn't connect to their dedicated server from the same computer even with those settings, but there's a couple of workarounds documented here.

Edit: Side note, you should hide your token.

Hi Rezecib, I have no idea about configuration directory (conf_dir command).

I'm actually joining from the same computer that im hosting on.

And i'm using the default port 10999.

This are my settings:

[sTEAM]

DISABLECLOUD = true

[MISC]

CONSOLE_ENABLED = true

netbook_mode = false

vibration = false

showpassword = false

autosubscribemods = true

[graphics]

fullscreen_width = 1920

fullscreen_height = 1080

display_id = 0

refresh_rate = 60

fullscreen = true

use_small_textures = false

screenshake = true

bloom = true

distortion = true

HUDSize = 5

window_x = 0

window_y = 23

windowed_width = 1916

windowed_height = 1017

[audio]

volume_ambient = 8

volume_sfx = 8

volume_music = 8

[account]

token =

[network]

default_server_name = Wolfpack Pro Gaming (Youtube)

default_server_description = Bienvenidos a la locura!!!

max_players = 20

enable_snapshots = true

server_port = 10999

server_password =

pvp = false

game_mode = wilderness

enable_autosaver = true

tick_rate = 60

connection_timeout = 8000

server_save_slot = 5

enable_vote_kick = true

pause_when_empty = true

I managed to set up the server, but I'm not a expert when it comes to this kind of stuff xdd.

I appreciate your help

@WolfpackProGaming, Ah, okay. There are a lot of known issues associated with joining from the same computer without using conf_dir and a different port. The wiki page on dedicated servers goes over how to use conf_dir, but basically what I did for it was copied my existing Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether folder to DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated, then set the launch options for the dedicated server to "-conf_dir DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated". I'd also recommend setting a different port (I used 10998), but you will have to forward it on your router. Without using the different port though, I'm surprised you were able to connect to your server at all :razz:

Some people also found that they couldn't connect to their dedicated server from the same computer even with those settings, but there's a couple of workarounds documented here.

Than you so much!!

Thanx to your suggestion this is what i did:

Went to steam - dont starve together properties - Set Launch Options and thats it!!

By the way i have no idea how to edit the text with my token.

Thank you so much for the solution ^^

Thanks! conf_dir solved my issue with my inventory disappearing. Default port works fine however.

Hi all, I'm experiencing this same issue. While server is running, if I close client and restart it to join the server again, all map exploration progress is lost. 

I am using conf_dir with an alternative server configuration area, and I am using a custom port (10998) with Port Forwarding setup on my router. 

Any ideas? Thanks! 

@Billiam, Hmm, and this only happens with your dedicated server, not with other servers? There's a separate bug if the configuration directory is in an unusual situation where map data fails to get saved (they've been fixing it for each unusual situation as it gets figured out). There's another command to get around that, I think -persistent_storage_root, which you would point to the folder containing DoNotStarveTogether (by default, Documents/Klei).

But if it is just your dedicated server then... that's pretty strange. Just to confirm, your -conf_dir command does not look like this, right?

-conf_dir DoNotStarveTogether

(because that would be the same as not using -conf_dir at all).

Hey guys, thanks so much for replying! 

Very weird solution - I had some mods downloaded but I hadn't activated them. So I launched the game, went into the Mod menu and activated them all (including some map/minimap mods), and now it retains my map visibility when I leave + join my dedicated server. 

So, all fixed! My conf-dir is correctly pointing to that separate directory in regards to your suggestions. 

Not sure why the mods would fix that, it seems like it should be more of a base system/server situation. If anyone else is looking at this and has the same problem, sorry, I'm not sure precisely what fixed it. 

Thanks again for being a great and responsive community. 

Archived