[Mod help] Sanity Perks

Hello,

Thank you for stumbling upon this thread stranger!

I would like to add a sanity perk to my character but I don't know how to write code very we so here goes. The perks work like this;

She will have a small sanity gain when holding a bird and a slightly smaller gain when holding a feather. They are and simple but I do not know how to check for an item in an inventory.

Thank you for your help kind stranger!

@PaladinPlayer, I think putting this in the master_postinit for your character should do the trick:

local birds = {"robin", "robin_winter", "crow"}local function sanityfn(inst)	local hasbird = false	local hasfeather = false	for k,v in pairs(birds) do		if inst.components.inventory:Has(v) then			hasbird = true		end		if inst.components.inventory:Has("feather_"..v) then			hasfeather = true		end	end	return hasbird and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL or (hasfeather and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_TINY or 0)endlocal function master_postinit(inst)    inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = sanityfn

I showed the master_postinit in there because it's better to have the sanityfn outside of it.

I made some assumptions about how you wanted this to work, here:

• Having multiple birds does not give you any additional sanity
  • Having a bird negates any additional sanity from having feathers

There's probably a more efficient way to do this (something like listening for birds/feathers entering/leaving your inventory), but this should work, at least.

@PaladinPlayer, I think putting this in the master_postinit for your character should do the trick:

local birds = {"robin", "robin_winter", "crow"}local function sanityfn(inst)	local hasbird = false	local hasfeather = false	for k,v in pairs(birds) do		if inst.components.inventory:Has(v) then			hasbird = true		end		if inst.components.inventory:Has("feather_"..v) then			hasfeather = true		end	end	return hasbird and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL or (hasfeather and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_TINY or 0)endlocal function master_postinit(inst)    inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = sanityfn

I showed the master_postinit in there because it's better to have the sanityfn outside of it.

I made some assumptions about how you wanted this to work, here:

• Having multiple birds does not give you any additional sanity
  • Having a bird negates any additional sanity from having feathers

There's probably a more efficient way to do this (something like listening for birds/feathers entering/leaving your inventory), but this should work, at least.

Hi Rez!

Thanks (again) for the code it was very helpful since it worked perfectly!

Also while I look through more Modding Help pages I see your posts are always helpful which is awesome!

@rezecib

First of all I assume the crash log is in documents/klei/donotstarvetogether/log.txt

When sanityfn is here:

local birds = {"robin", "robin_winter", "crow"}

local function sanityfn(inst)
    local hasbird = false
    local hasfeather = false
    for k,v in pairs(birds) do
        if inst.components.inventory:Has(v) then
            hasbird = true
        end
        if inst.components.inventory:Has("feather_"..v) then
            hasfeather = true
        end
    end
    return hasbird and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL or (hasfeather and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_TINY or 0)
end
inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = sanityfn
end

I get this crash: post-506972-0-48730100-1422139562_thumb.
and this log:log.txt

But when sanityfn is placed outside of master_postinit:
local birds = {"robin", "robin_winter", "crow"}
local function sanityfn(inst)
    local hasbird = false
    local hasfeather = false
    for k,v in pairs(birds) do
        if inst.components.inventory:Has(v) then
            hasbird = true
        end
        if inst.components.inventory:Has("feather_"..v) then
            hasfeather = true
        end
    end
    return hasbird and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL or (hasfeather and TUNING.DAPPERNESS_TINY or 0)
end
end
inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = sanityfn

It will not load past this screen: post-506972-0-35018000-1422140774_thumb.
and the log is:log.txt

P.S. Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post

@PaladinPlayer, Make a foodtype for the eggs and add it to her foodprefs. There are a ton of posts around on how to do that.

Hmm... As for birds/feathers, it should be working the way it is, I think, but we can try rewriting the "return" line as a few lines instead:

local delta = 0if hasfeather then delta = TUNING.DAPPERNESS_TINY endif hasbird then delta = TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL end

But it may be working already, with the difference just not noticeable. Try changing the values, e.g. the SMALL to HUGE.