World file sharing

What I was thinking about is a way to play on a map when the host is offline.

What I've noticed in DST is that if the host wants to play solo he just opens the server and play. The clients can't do that.

So what if you could download the map from the host and play it solo for a while, then upload the modified world.

For example my brother(client) and I(host) decide to start a world and play on it for an hour.

The next day I can't play but my brother can so he download the map, play abit and then upload the file back to me.

Day three my brother is offline so I dowload the map, no need to host if your the only one playing.

The next day we are both there, so I open the server and we play together.

An other idea is to have a way to change the host.

What if your internet connection is failing for some reason and you are currently hosting.

Or you stop playing but your two friends want to play more.

Player-Hosted Dedicated Servers will be available soon. That will most likely solve whatever issue you are having. You and your brother can just close down your own private dedicated server when neither of you are playing. Alternatively, you can turn your private dedicated server back on if you wish to play on it again and continue from where he left off or he can continue where you left off.

Status on Klei's Player-Hosted Dedicated Servers Source: Go Here

Do note, that Klei has the player-hosted dedicated servers under closed beta and only a select few has been chosen to test it before they fully release the Dedicated Server Files to the general public. So basically, just wait a little while longer and we'll get to set up our own dedicated servers.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Player-Hosted Dedicated Servers will be available soon. That will most likely solve whatever issue you are having. You and your brother can just close down your own private dedicated server when neither of you are playing. Alternatively, you can turn your private dedicated server back on if you wish to play on it again and continue from where he left off or he can continue where you left off.

Thank you, but I don't see how dedicated servers would solve the inconvience that you need to have the host online to play the world.

I was just pointing out that if the host is offline (regardless of it being a dedicated server) your are not abel to play on the world.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is exactly what a Dedicated Server actually is. The player-hosted part only pertains to the aspect that it is the players that can set it up on a separate system or on the same system regardless of whether they play on it or not. Once it's set up properly, people who can see the server can join in (in your case, on LAN. Assuming both you and your brother play on the same network connection) even if the player who started the server isn't online. Dedicated Servers are suppose to stay online unless the owner/admins(in which case would be you and your brother since you're sharing the world) decides to close it.

Anyhow, if it still doesn't makes sense, I do not know how else to explain it. We'd have to wait on the specifics about the Dedicated Servers rules and what not though, but I'm fairly certain it's what'll solve your issue.

On the other hand, if you're asking for steam-cloud(like*) sharing World Server Saves between two different accounts I wouldn't have any idea how that could possibly work. That is sadly outside the scope of my knowledge on the matter of Sharing DST Servers.

Sorry for not being much help. Good luck.

Archived