[General] - Delay on actions

Assass1n1191

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: Delay on actions

Issue Description: Me and my friend experiencing delay lags such as when we're trying to pick up the grass animation plays but grass dissapearing after a few second delay. This happens with everything: berries, saplings, fruits on the farms etc.

Also we have a few seconds delay before Ice Box or Chester opens and sometimes there is a delay on animation start, like i'm coming to the grass and just staying near it for a few seconds and only after picking it up.

The second thing: after a some period of time at the right top corner of the screen game says that server connection lost.

Steps to Reproduce: Lags always have only client, but not host. Host of the server always fine. Host is always marked as "Good" or "Ok" for both of us and game shows us ~40 ping. Checked ping for google using CMD (it shows 35-37). So i don't think that is the internet connection issue. By the way we're from the same city.

Important thing that we disabled all the mods but lags still happening.

All these started after hotfix on December 24. Before it we have played and everything was fine.

So please help us solve this issue :(

I've got a little update. Me and my friend tryied to start a new world and everything was perfect. No lags at all. But ~at the day of 13 my friend suddenly got disconnect from me and recconection was unavailable until i've restarted server. So when my friend connected to rehosted server he started to lag. All that problems that i described above appeared again.

Hope this will help to solve this problems becouse we can't play the game almost for a month!!

@Assass1n1191, Hmm... it sounds like maybe sometimes it's making a direct connection (when you started a new world), but later it starts failing to connect directly and it starts going through a proxy, maybe. You could try forwarding port 10999?

It seems weird that it would work some of the time, but fail for rehosted worlds, though...

Did you guys have any success with the server tick rate adjustments? If so, what did you end up leaving it at? Just wondering if that's relevant :-)

Oh yeah. We tried to increase server tickrate from 15 to 20-30 but there were no visible changes. Just at 30 it started to lag even worse :)

@Assass1n1191, Hmm... it sounds like maybe sometimes it's making a direct connection (when you started a new world), but later it starts failing to connect directly and it starts going through a proxy, maybe. You could try forwarding port 10999?

It seems weird that it would work some of the time, but fail for rehosted worlds, though...

Well. We've just tried forwarding port 10999 and it didn't help. No changes at all. After that we tried to  reproduce lag issues and we have some intresting results. At old lagging map my friend suddenly wanted to make some screenshots. After he pressed screenshot button once, game started to lag greatly and make about 20 screenshots insted of one :) And after this lag and couple of shift+tabs all described above lags dissapeared! :D The bad thing when we started another old lagging map this didn't work.

After that we started a new server and we've got no lags at all (i mentioned a similar in the comment above) so we wanted to test if disconnect by player also leads lags after rehosting or this is the problems becouse of sudden lost connection issue. We played a couple of days and my friend disconnected, i'm rehosted server and when he came back lags came back too. Therefore we concluded that lags appearing after rehosting server.

Am I to understand you started a fresh one, and before it started to become laggy/your friend got disconnected, you closed it down and re-hosted it for him to rejoin?

Would it be possible to get your friend's log.txt from My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether next time your friend loses connection? The game creates this file fresh each time you launch the game, so we would want his log.txt copied immediately after he gets the weird disconnect if possible.

If you can't increase tick rate to 30 with only 2 clients, I also get the impression your hardware potentially isn't really up to the task. What gear you (both) running?

What you're describing kinda reminds me of the Payday 2 Steam issue of randomness, where sometimes a client will become disconnected from the game and unable to rejoin properly for some strange communication reason, that seems to be attributed to Steam.

What we would have to do is constantly have all of us close and re-open the games and sometimes Steam itself, until we can all communicate properly to have a game; perhaps you might see normal functionality return to re-hosted games if you both restart your games/Steams. Just something to throw out there- I don't have the issues you describe I don't think XD

Archived