Make the Crafted Compass Integrated into the Map and Minimap HUD mod

This is sort of a branch off of my suggestion to make a "snap back" button to the screen orientation. I honestly have never crafted the compass in DST because:

1.) It takes up precious inventory space. While in theory this can be immensely helpful in communicating directions between players, the problem is....

2.) Even if you craft it and have it, directions are so messed up between players with the different screen/map orientations and players without the compass (I don't think many people on average actually craft/use it) that when someone asks "zomg WHERE'Z THE BAYZZZZ?111/!111??" and someone replies "It's North", that is SO ambiguous. There are so many possibilities of what way is actually "North". And "North" from the person who is giving directions' point of view (mainly, if they don't actually have a compass) could actually be South, or East, or Southwest or... well, you get my point.

There is too much ambiguity between which way is which among players and While I would like to have a compass integrated into the Map/Minimap HUD (mod) interface, I actually, after some thought, am not sure I think it should be displayed by default (although, I would honestly be fine with that too.)

My suggestion is this: When you craft the compass, instead of going into your inventory and requiring you to right click on it to give you the direction your map is oriented/you are facing, and taking up precious inventory space, it should instead just integrate into you map/minimap and show you the directions when viewing the map/minimap interface. It would be a lot easier to utilize, and I gaurantee a lot more people would actually craft/use it since I'm assuming most people don't craft it because it takes up an inventory slot (That's the reason I don't use it - as well as the fact even if you are using it, if other people aren't, it doesn't really matter since they won't actually know the real directions and they'll still give and follow directions based off their own map/screen orientation).

Thoughts, Ideas, Additions, Suggestions?

What I dislike is that everyone starts oriented with North above them, but there's no default compass.  

This means that, by default, everyone knows which way is North and has no need of the compass, but it's always obnoxious to take a minute to figure it out and/or remember if you forget.  

I'd much prefer if everyone started with a random orientation.  That would really make it tricky ; ).  

There's a really nice compass mod that puts the compass on screen top right, on the left of the day meter- I think that's the best way to go for crafted ones. The mod doesn't require you to have crafted a compass in order to see it, but it's basically all the way there.

The one use for the compass i have discovered is if you die in a cave or somewhere you cannot see your backpack on the ground. After you respawn at your base via meat effigy you can write down which direction your corpse is(ex. i died in the ruins thats northeast of here). This way you dont have to worry about forgetting how to retrieve your belongings should you want to quit playing at the time.

What I dislike is that everyone starts oriented with North above them, but there's no default compass.  

This means that, by default, everyone knows which way is North and has no need of the compass, but it's always obnoxious to take a minute to figure it out and/or remember if you forget.  

I'd much prefer if everyone started with a random orientation.  That would really make it tricky ; ).  

Actually, it appears everyone spawns facing North East if I'm not mistaken? XD

I have that awesome mod that adds a compass to your HUD (which should totally be integrated for when you craft a compass) and when I spawn it says im North oriented, however crafting a compass says "NorthEast".

Actually, it appears everyone spawns facing North East if I'm not mistaken? XD

I have that awesome mod that adds a compass to your HUD (which should totally be integrated for when you craft a compass) and when I spawn it says im North oriented, however crafting a compass says "NorthEast".

That could be.  But, since everyone spawns with the same orientation everyone just treats that as 'North'.

Archived