Headaches creating Isaac

I'm trying to create Isaac, from Binding of Isaac, but I'm having annoying issues...
(If there is easier ways to just import his body into the game, I'd glady do that)

I can't seem to figure out how exactly Isaac was made.  I tried opening him in Paint.net (this image, I stole from the wiki: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/bindingofisaac/images/a/a0/IsaacHD.png/revision/latest?cb=20120617101324) and I tried erasing his body...so I just could get his head.

The issue is, when zoomed in really freaking close, it's like solid black lines padded by variations of grey and black, probably to get the illusion of a non-blocky circle.  The issue is, how exactly do you replicate that without spending hours upon hours of placing different colored greys/blacks to make a perfect circle? I find it near impossible.

Everytime I erase his body (which seems to merge into his head), his head doesn't appear circular like I want it to be...it always has these jagged edges that makes it look goofy (also partly because the eraser on paint.net, even at 100% hardness, doesn't work like it should...)

I would have editted this post, but I"m not sure how.

How exactly is the art made in this game? Is it pixel art? I've managed to import the avatar of his head, looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/m0bAvSF.jpg

Sounds like a stupid question, but it looks so particular...pixel art in Terraria was much easier lol.  I guess I'm not used to this kind of work.

Getting the avatar in successfully doesn't really solve the issues I may have later, like animating the rest of his body and so forth.  Anyonoe know any other more efficient ways of getting this done?

Did you read all the information and tutorial with that template character mod. I thought it had how to do everything you might need on it(that is to make a simple character without traits). And I believe you can only edit posts after your 5th post.

Right now I'm using the Extended Sample Character Template and just modifying but the default character provided.

But as you can see, up super close...it's a pain (for me) to just make a red outline for Isaacs head for the map marker...it's super particular pixel art.  is this the way it's supposed to be?

http://i.imgur.com/vTyaa84.png

actually, i guess my biggest concern is how people are aligning the items in the game to the characters.

isaac is a completely different model, so the standard character template would be super inaccurate, therefore, if i picked up like a tophat or a chest piece, it wouldn't be aligned on isaacs head.  i noticed on the steam workshop people have made characters with large heads and so forth, but how do you get the items to properly align based on your character size?