What is the profit to be owner of Don't Starve buying Frontier Pack?

Hey there, i've started topic on steam forums about version of game and gift copies, please join if you'd like

http://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/discussions/0/620700960656967351/?tscn=1419945511

Here is a copy:

Here is my question.
The description on Don't Starve Together says:

“NOTE: Players who currently own Don't Starve on Steam will get Don't Starve Together for free when it exits Early-Access. During Early-Access, current owners of Don't Starve get 2 copies of Don't Starve Together through the Frontier Pack at 75% off."

And here is what Frontier pack description says:

"Includes: Don't Starve and Don’t Starve Together, plus a gift copy of Don't Starve Together - Send the extra copy to a friend!"

I was originally the owner of Dont Starve (single). I thought - ok, may be 2 copies means 2 gift copies so i could give them away to my friends, and bought it. But gues what - i've got only one gift copy of Don't Starve Together, and the other one copy went to my game library automaticly.

So there is no profit to be owner of Don't Starve and buy Frontier pack? Whats is the point of first note then? Please explain.

May be i will get gift copy when game leaves Early Access?

If you buy the Frontier Pack, you get DST in your Steam Library plus a gift copy of DST to give to someone.

I'd say each copy of DST would be worth $2.50 US right now. So if you want to make something, you can sell the second copy unless you want to give it to someone.

But second note says that everyone gets gift copy of DST buying Frontier Pack, not only owners of DS.
And thats why first note is confusing.

You get two copies of DST. It's for people who don't own DST and want to play DST with a friend.

yes, and my question was - what is the profit of owning DS and buying Frontier Pack in comparison with NOT owning DS and buying Frontier pack

Like Pyro is saying, if you own the game and are waiting for DST for free, you won't get an extra copy. You will obtain the game for free for only yourself (if you wait for full release). The Frontier pack essentially offers a free or cheap way, (depending on how you look at it) which allows you to share your game with another person (aka the gift copy). Anyone who receives a beta key/Frontier pack key/early access key (whatever you want to call it really) will own DST once it is released and will be allowed to play the officially released version.

Also, it says:

"plus a gift copy of Don't Starve Together - Send the extra copy to a friend"

So, it only means one extra copy. I've not heard anything of receiving a free copy after DST is officially released either (you only get one for your own steam library). Sorry :(

The price point of DST once it is released was going to bump up the DS game from $15~ dollars up to $20~ dollars ($19.99). (clarifying*)This goes to everyone who does not currently own DS when DST gets released (so the free DST won't apply). So, that's why I personally look at it as obtaining a free game copy (overall) you can share with your friend. Because one DST will cost $5~ dollars (upon release), you essentially get a free DST game you can share with someone else. (However, they did make it so you can purchase only DST if you want too, $14.99. There will always be future sales of course though.) It really just boils down to waiting for sales, for the best deals. But the Frontier pack is a pretty good deal, in my opinion. Even if you consider it being $2.50 a key, (that's half off) but if you want to consider getting it free anyway upon release, which is still a few months away, you could say "lose" $2.50, however you would just be buying the game much sooner, and overall buying DST for $5 dollars that you can give to a friend (which would have been the price anyway).

I guess it might seems convoluted, but makes sense in my head. lol

In other words: 

You will get one free/cheap DST code to share with someone else (If buying the Frontier pack). And you get access to the game sooner. But you lose out on obtaining DST for completely free, which happens if you just wait for full release/open beta, but you won't get an extra key to share.

Also, you can not buy the frontier pack for $5 dollars if you do not own DS already. The frontier pack would cost $19.99 which would then include the Don't Starve game ($5 dollar frontier pack only includes 2 DST keys, one for the buyer and one to share). The "sale" of the frontier pack for $5 dollars is only to people who own the DS game.

Hope that makes some sense lol :hypnotized:

*edit: clarifying a bit

yes, and my question was - what is the profit of owning DS and buying Frontier Pack in comparison with NOT owning DS and buying Frontier pack

Hello CatCopter,

I believe that you mean to say benefit instead of profit. I may be wrong here.

The benefit of purchasing the frontier pack would definitely be early access to the game right now instead of waiting for your free copy which will most likely arrive in Spring of 2015. And also being able to share the experience with a friend of your choosing.

My friends and I have been dominating the game together and I feel that it's so much better to be able to enjoy the game and aid in the development. That being said, the choice of playing now or playing later is entirely up to you.

Cheers!

Archived