[Gameplay] - Character drops items instead of planting them

DuckBoy

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Character drops items instead of planting them

Issue Description: Sometimes when you right click on the ground and it says plant, your character decides to drop all the items on the ground instead.

This issue occurs with everything thats plantable far as I can tell, grass, saplings, pine cones, and the ultimate worst, butterflies, since the whole stack just flies away from you.

I thought that this was client lag somehow, but the same thing happens when I'm hosting the server.

I thought that this was me or my touch pad sending erroneous left clicks, but I have no evidence of that in any other application, or indeed anywhere else in Don't Starve Together. Further, I have tried it with an external mouse under incredibly controlled conditions, and she still drops the pine cones on a pretty regular basis.

Spacing does seem to matter to some degree, but if it is a needs more space to plant issue, then it is not correctly calculating whether or not there is enough space. Further, if its a not enough space to plant issue, can you make it not drop the whole stack of items every time it fails to find space?

Steps to Reproduce: Sometimes I think Wendy is an idiot. She will spend all day collecting pine cones until she has a stack of 40. Then she will walk over to plant them:

Right click, Plant a pinecone.

Right click, (whether there is space or not), Drop 39 pine cones on the floor.

Pick them up, Right click, plant a pine cone.

Right click, plant a pine cone.

Right click, drop all the pine cones again.

/facepalm

Oh I've weird bugs on planting stuff too, for example I click on the ground to plant, and nothing is planted, (even when you wait several seconds/have a correct ping), and if you try to plant on another place, same issue, usually, either you do another action and you can plant again, or you can put your stack on the floor and take it again and it's fixed.

But it was really weird, and a friend had this issue too.

I have narrowed down the problem finally.  I'm on a macbook pro (Running bootcamp) and I'm using a multitouch touchpad.  This bug occurs whenever I have two fingers on the touchpad at the same time:  If I remove my index finger from the touchpad before clicking, and thus stop sending mouse move events, the item will be planted successfully every time.  If my index finger is actively moving around while I click, the plant will be dropped on the floor every time.  If my index finger is just resting in place when I click (which is basically all the time when you use a touchpad...), the plant will be dropped on the floor with some probability.  

I suspect there is an issue with tracking the state of the planting when mouse move events occur, and I expect my touchpad is sending extra mouse move events with little or no motion while my index finger is touching the pad, even if its not moving.  

I suspect this can be duplicated with any mouse by right clicking to plant while slightly moving the mouse.  If so, such a bug could be fixed either by having mouse move events not cancel the plant (bleh, side effects to this solution) or by putting a minimum number of pixels moved in order for motion to cancel the planting, like 16 pixels or something.  (Or upping such a buffer if it already exists)  

Oh I've weird bugs on planting stuff too, for example I click on the ground to plant, and nothing is planted, (even when you wait several seconds/have a correct ping), and if you try to plant on another place, same issue, usually, either you do another action and you can plant again, or you can put your stack on the floor and take it again and it's fixed.

But it was really weird, and a friend had this issue too.

This does not appear to be my issue.  You should probably make a separate report for it.  

I suspect this can be duplicated with any mouse by right clicking to plant while slightly moving the mouse.  If so, such a bug could be fixed either by having mouse move events not cancel the plant (bleh, side effects to this solution) or by putting a minimum number of pixels moved in order for motion to cancel the planting, like 16 pixels or something.  (Or upping such a buffer if it already exists)  

Nope, I've never encountered this with the mouse. The only way for me to drop items while planting is to left-click instead of right-clicking. Missing the right-click just causes it to snap back into my inventory (which is also moderately annoying). 

Edit: Also if my inventory is completely full in addition to having the plantable on my cursor. Having a full inventory with an item on the cursor will drop the item if you right-click. This is presumably to let you get items off your cursor when in darkness.

Archived